Avatar Dec. 18th IMAX 3D Second Trailer

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 08:30 pm
@rosborne979,
Titanic -- there was little mention of the story in the trailers or in all of the built up documentary specials on Discovery, etc., that tied into the release of the film and dealt with the technical aspects and accuracy to the historical event. I think if you go back and look at the trailers for all of the Cameron films, the special effects are featured over anything about the story. If fact, the complaint here is that he's telegraphed the story which I don't believe he has. It's called a teaser trailer and I would figure Cameron would pull out all the stops on the CGI.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 09:17 pm
@Lightwizard,
I hope you're right. I'll look forward to seeing it in any case.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 04:12 pm
Another tidbit ...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/800318/avatar/videos/avatar_hardware.html

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 02:10 pm
@rosborne979,
I wonder if that's taken from the 60 Minutes special coverage tonight of the film?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 02:18 pm
@rosborne979,
They're acting like they invented the concept of mech-warriors in this film.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 06:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nope -- that actually goes back to the old Astounding and Amazing days in th 40's and 50's.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 06:37 pm
(You certainly didn't expect them to state, "We borrowed this from an Astounding Science Fiction story").
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:50 am
The 60 Minute interview with Cameron was very good -- he's still in post-production, tweaking special effects and some other details. He gave no more hints about the storyline. Here's a link to the interview with Morly Safer:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5737218n
rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 12:31 pm
@Lightwizard,
He sure makes it sound like it's going to be good. Smile
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:57 pm
@rosborne979,
He always does sound like he know exactly where he's coming from and I always end up knowing exactly where he's coming from. Going over-and-over the CGI to buff it up here and there is only going to make the movie shine brighter. It seems to me he has a message in this story he's not letting us know about.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 09:56 pm
@Lightwizard,
On your first viewing do you think you will go to an IMAX 3D showing, or will you start out with a normal theater first?

I'm thinking I'll travel to one of the IMAX theaters for this movie. I usually don't do that, but I'm hoping this one is special.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 11:20 am
@rosborne979,
I'm planning on going to the Irvine Spectrum IMAX during a weekday matinee and work in some shopping and lunch.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 09:01 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
Have to make time -- I haven't watched the Torchwood mini-series "Children of Earth" yet, either.

I just finished watching "Children of Earth" and it was very good. This Jack Harkness character is one sonofabitch. I'll have to check out the previous seasons.

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 09:45 pm
@rosborne979,
Torchwood is returning with it's regular 13 episodes in January. The 1080p hi-def video cameras (not filmed) is what makes the series so realistic, except they really have the work hard on those sets -- even though the underground headquarters is kind of industrial grunge in an extreme contrast with the hi-tech equipment. I think the Watchtower in this season's Smallville is directly borrowed from this look.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 12:33 pm
James Horner, the composer of the score for "Avatar" in an interview:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/12/oscarwinning-composer-james-horner-says-michael-bay-wouldnt-understand-the-soul-of-avatar-.html
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:35 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

(You certainly didn't expect them to state, "We borrowed this from an Astounding Science Fiction story").

No. But they better wipe their chuff expressions off of their face as the Japanese alone have a billion dollar industry based on the subgenre of mech alone. They shouldn't be implying that they're the first to bring large robots to the cinematic medium.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:37 pm
Quote:
Though some would say that Avatar's much-hyped special effects look only marginally better than the ones in this amusing computer-animated dramatization of Tiger Wood's car crash, we still figured movie-theater owners would be excited, since it's basically their industry's last line of defense against video-game consoles and flat-screen TVs, widely presumed to be winning the war on house-leaving. Maybe not, though! Yesterday, Amy Miles, CEO of Regal Entertainment Group, the world's biggest theater chain, said that James Cameron's latest could earn "more than $250 million" domestically (which it had damn well better if its budget is anywhere near the $500 million the Times says it is), but downplayed its importance to the industry at large.

For the rest of the blog...
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/12/regal_ceo_avatar_no_game_chang.html?mid=agenda--20091202#ixzz0Yb4QGVUZ
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:10 am
@tsarstepan,
They couldn't claim they were the first to bring large robots to the screen. That would be the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" which was the film the Japanese are paying homage to. Stories including super-sized robots go back to the 40's in Amazing and Astounding. The Japanese did not come up with the concept of super-sized robots -- they borrowed it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:35 am
@tsarstepan,
It's unfortunate that films shot to be 3-D rarely look nearly as great in flat 2-D going back to the first IMAX documentary, "The Living Sea." This is without any special effects or CGI, of course, which would make the difference even more pronounced. It's the shooting perspective which changes and it's like taking a Panavision film and turning it into a 4:3 pan-and-scan. Shrink it down to the size of a computer screen and, forget it, it will not look much like what is going to appear on the IMAX screen, or even flat on a large Super Panavision screen. The one preview of "Avatar" in 1080i I saw on my big screen LCD screen looked 100% better as it has not been compressed as it is for PC viewing. If they were broadcasting in 1080p, it would even be less compressed. When you loose detail, the picture goes into faint "saw-tooth" pixelized hard edges, although sometimes too small for most people to notice, it dramatically effects the overall image. The shading part of the CGI animation also hasn't been finished on the film to be released and having to put together a teaser trailer from the stage the film was in could have been a mistake. That's the trouble with deadlines, but Cameron knew he needed a holiday release and wasn't about to hold the film back another year -- even a worse mistake.

It might motivate me into buying a new Laptop with the new glare proof screen which doesn't scatter pixels and is capable of Blu-Ray playback and 1080p. The standard of 16:9 also effects the resolution as the Panavision letterboxing also looses about 1/3 of the resolution, making the images really 720i.

Link: http://www.impactnottingham.com/2009/12/the-end-of-cinema-as-we-know-it/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:15 am
Well, now, London audiences seem to have embraced the film:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9309917
0 Replies