Avatar Dec. 18th IMAX 3D Second Trailer

maporsche

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 01:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
I wouldn't expect an Avatar-like result.

I have now paid to see Avatar 3 times; I likely won't even watch AinW....well, EVER.
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
What a cast! Of course, I don't know of any movie actor who wouldn't jump at the change to work with Tim. As the movie is in post-production, wonder if his special effects team is making any overtures to Cameron on new CGI technology.

Mia Wasikowska ... Alice Kingsley

Johnny Depp ... The Mad Hatter

Helena Bonham Carter ... The Red Queen

Crispin Glover ... The Knave of Hearts

Anne Hathaway ... The White Queen

Stephen Fry ... The Cheshire Cat

Christopher Lee ... The Jabberwock

Michael Sheen ... The White Rabbit

Alan Rickman ... The Caterpillar

Alan Rickman as The Caterpillar? Brilliant casting -- just the voice says caterpillar.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I have now paid to see Avatar 3 times; I likely won't even watch AinW....well, EVER.

Men are not the only market for IMAX 3D....you should have seen the response by teen daughter had to the promo. And Tim Burton is just twisted enough to interest the men too, you wait and see. Did You watch Corpse Bride? A lot of us guys did, it did not do $120 million with kids alone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@maporsche,
It looks exquisite:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/85149/movie-trailers-alice-in-wonderland---teaser
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
I don't know of any movie actor who wouldn't jump at the change to work with Tim

right on the money here.....not only is most everything he touches a success and also good art, but he is said to be a great guy and working on his sets is said to be fun.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 02:23 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
wonder if his special effects team is making any overtures to Cameron on new CGI technology.

my guess is that the answer is no
Quote:
Burton: It just came down to things in technology that I liked or didn't like. For instance, I'm not a big fan at the moment for mo-cap stuff because I just don't like it personally. A lot of people have used it very successfully, but it's personally not a thing that I like. That's why I decided to go with pure animation for some of the characters, and then for some, live-action, rather than it just being animation or live-action " to blur the lines a little bit. With some of our characters, we're just doing some manipulation with it, so it's their real performance, real faces, real heads, real bodies, everything, but just manipulate it so that it's kind of a weirder crossover into what Wonderland is. It just comes down to sort of things that you like or don't like, and I just find with animation, you're able to achieve more reality by just doing the animation than maybe doing mo-cap stuff. Although it's getting better, I know that; they're doing really good things with it. But it's just a personal choice to do something that way.

http://www.scifisquad.com/2009/08/06/tim-burton-talks-9-and-alice-in-wonderland/

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 04:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
I realize he wouldn't want the motion capture technology but there were other inventions Cameron's team came up with like the cameras (so I would think it's too late for that). I was being kind of facetious as Tim's film is Disney and Avatar is US/UK produced by 20th Century Fox, so I the proprietary stuff would hardly be available to Tim. Not widely whispered about, but ILM was called in to produce the final special effects on Avatar (could be why the first trailers were not even close to as good as the film):

http://kdka.com/entertainment/ilm.avatar.graphics.2.1381919.html

Of course, Gollum will always be in the classics of CGI motion capture even if the technique that was used is now outmoded. Jackson's King Kong was excellent MC.

However, who was used for the Tyrannosaurus Rex? I didn't think Cheney did movies. He turned down and part in "Good Will Hunting."
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:35 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
Not widely whispered about, but ILM was called in to produce the final special effects on Avatar (could be why the first trailers were not even close to as good as the film):

this is common knowledge, Cameron himself has said that he called in ILM to save the day, that Weta could not on its own get the quality that Cameron needed, no matter how many hours and dollars were thrown at the problem.
Quote:
One benefit for the entire film industry of having ILM step in to help out on "Avatar" may be that in working on the project, Knoll and his team came up with a new way to completely computer-generate large-scale, close-up explosions.

Until now, big fiery explosions in CGI-heavy films have been shot with live camera and then had visual effects added to them. But Knoll said that because of some of the limitation of matching Cameron's templates for "Avatar," there was no practical way to meet the movie's explosive needs with live-action.

"We've done CG explosions in the past," Knoll said, "but never with this level of realism, and never this close up."

Fortunately, ILM had pioneered the rendering of the visual movement of fluids in films like "Poseidon" and "Pirates of the Caribbean," and Knoll knew that the shape and movement dynamics of an explosion were similar to that of water.

"The same underlying engine is being used on this," Knoll said. "The motion of the underlying gas is similar to the motion of fluids. The medium is relatively uncompressable. So when there's movement of the medium, it can't change volume real dramatically. So if you push on one side, something has to push on the other side."

That meant that ILM could take the graphics engine it had created for fluid shots in the previous films and apply the same basic technology for the explosions in "Avatar." Though there are clearly some major differences between fluid and big fire - notably that as fuel burns, fire expands, and then retracts when the fuel goes away, the technique was similar enough that the technology could be adapted to the needs of "Avatar."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/19/tech/cnettechnews/main5998956.shtml
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
@maporsche,
I have now paid to see Avatar 2 times
3d and non3d
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 10:32 pm
Quote:
It took director James Cameron’s Titanic 44 days to reach the $300 million mark. Twelve years later, Cameron’s Avatar has reached that same milestone nearly three times faster, in just its 15th day of release. The 3-D epic grossed an estimated $25 million on New Years Day, pushing the film’s domestic total to $308.8 million. If that pace holds, expect the film to shatter Spider-Man’s $45 million record for the biggest ever third weekend in theaters

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/01/02/avatar-passes-300-million/?xid=rss-movies-%27Avatar%27+passes+%24300M+mark+in+15+days
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 10:39 am
@hawkeye10,
It's challenge after breaking the Spider-Man record is going to be sustainability. I think it will enjoy multiple viewings, driving up its' box office into the stratosphere. I plan to see it two more times. This afternoon we'll be seeing the weekend box office estimates.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 10:44 am
I have been avoiding this topic, because I have yet to see the movie. I want it to be fresh when I finally get the opportunity.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 11:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Good idea -- I went to matinees, 'cause it's a bit easier to get in and I'm not tired from my day. It begins when the roller coaster is ascending to the summit and then swoops into the first accelerating 3-D experience in this new motion capture technology. There are times the coaster slows down and I think I actually enjoyed those scenes the best but it then hits the final acceleration with a bang and, like A. O. Scott of the NYT, I felt elated walking from the theater like nothing since "Star Wars."
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
It's challenge after breaking the Spider-Man record is going to be sustainability. I think it will enjoy multiple viewings, driving up its' box office into the stratosphere. I plan to see it two more times. This afternoon we'll be seeing the weekend box office estimates.

I have not seen any data on female response but I believe that Avatar appeals to females. If as I said this is a movie where the young regular movie going guys want to see it at least twice with the guys, and the girl would not mind going either, then it has a least another month of super hot numbers. It can not sustain $15 million + A day domestic after today, but $10 million is doable.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Cameron is predicable in combining in a touching love story into the mix of a basically action film. The love story dominated "Titanic" but really because we all knew where the ship was going -- down. His model for the story was Dickens and I'm thinking of it's obvious what inspired the love story in "Avatar." As far as a sci-fi author, I can't pick one for a model -- it's an amalgamation from, as I pointed out several time before, of 40's and 50's periodical sci-fi, however it's more Amazing Stories rather than Astounding or Galaxy.

Let's see, remind me what inspired "Raiders of the Lost Ark?" It was the banality of 40's and 50's serials at your local theater mixed with H. Rider Haggard.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 12:46 pm
Going back to the opening weekend and Cameron in The Hollywood Reporter:

Cameron: 'Avatar' success will take time

By Borys Kit

Dec 17, 2009, 01:29 PM ET

James Cameron said he was in a "Zen state" going into this weekend's opening of "Avatar," though it's the weeks after that he has set his sights on.

"I'm totally relived that it's done," he said at Wednesday's Los Angeles premiere. "All my decisions are behind me."

Whether he was in the Zen state at the Hollywood & Highland afterparty, which saw the complex's ballroom transformed into the nightfall version of the movie's fictional planet, Pandora, is another question. The filmmaker didn't have moment's peace, facing a constant barrage of well-wishers that made it tough for the man to even get to his wife and family.

Among the congratulatory crowd were filmmakers Michael Mann, Bryan Singer, Michael Bay and Joe Carnahan as well as actors who have worked with Cameron in the past, such as Jamie Lee Curtis and Bill Paxton.

Cameron isn't going to have time to sit around and watch the boxoffice this weekend as he'll be flying to Tokyo to promote the film, but watching the numbers on opening weekend isn't his bag anyway, he said.

"I don't do that," he said. "Some filmmakers sit by the phone, get hour-by-hour, blow-by-blow, like it's Election Night or something. I just want, come Monday morning, tell me what we made. I want one number. One phone call."

Besides, he added, the opening weekend isn't going to prove whether the movie is a success.

"I don't think were going to know where we land for about three weeks. Everybody in our business is so programmed to have a final decision on Monday morning, but I think Monday won't mean anything. I think it will tell us what our opening was, but it won't tell us what we'll do the next weekend."

Although he said the movie will not do "Titanic" numbers at the boxoffice, Cameron compared "Avatar" to his billion dollar-grossing movie in the sense that the latter had a moderate opening of $28.6 million domestically in December 1997 but grew in subsequent weeks because of repeat female audiences, who responded with ardor to the love story. Cameron is very well aware that the response will be reflected in the weekends after.

The crowd at the premiere screening, held at Grauman's Chinese and adjacent cinemas, was enthusiastic, with some giving it a standing ovation. Many talked afterward of how the movie was more of an actual "experience" than just simply passive moviewatching.

"Does (the response) translate to positive word-of-mouth for women? Do we fall less because of the 3D and emotionality?" Cameron posited. "We don't yet. It's a big experiment right now."
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 12:59 pm
@husker,
Did you like non-3D better? I suspect that I would have, but I won't be paying to see this movie again.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 01:27 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
One of the really interesting things about Avatar is the way it appeals to women as much, if not more than, it appeals to men. A big part of why, unlike a lot of science fiction, it works so well for the fairer sex is James Cameron's instinct for emotional entanglements. Girls need a good love story almost as much as guys need a good explosion and Avatar managed to deliver both. If the sequel is going to hold on to the franchise's female audience they'll need to keep that emotion-driven component. If Cameron goes the prequel route, working in a new romance is easy, but if he decides to stick with Jake and Neytiri things get more difficult. With Jake and Neytiri married their future relationship is bound to far less romance novel and more domestic, and it's not like Avatar 2 can use the Sex and the City method by sending Neytiri shoe shopping. Cameron's best bet to hang on to his female audience could be substituting kids for Fabio-style romance. I hear girls like babies in movies almost as much as I like bullets. What happens when a human/alien hybrid mates with an uncomfortably sexy alien? Will the kids have four fingers or five? What do the Na'vi use for diapers? The answers may be in Avatar 2.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Opening-Pandora-s-Sequel-Sending-A-Message-To-Avatar-2-16243.html

The claim of female appeal is not documented yet, but the romance is in the movie. Also, this is blended with multiple strong female characters, which is somewhat an unusual find in movies the last couple of years, which will appeal to money women. Avatar has the masculine female chopper pilot, the feminine but strong Neytiri, and the Weaver character who is strong but a mish/mash of masculine/feminine.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 03:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm taking a wild guess but "Avatar II" may be about an invasion by yet another alien race with Jake and Neytiri separated from the the Na'vi and the humans, and in jeopardy by themselves. As to a baby, I don't know if that would occur until the end of Part II -- would seem to me to be a monkey wrench during the story. Fast forward in Part III to the son or daughter in the future. Really, II and III are going to be much harder to write.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 05:59 pm
@Lightwizard,
Into the record books, "Avatar" retains the lead over the weekend and is now over $ 1 billion, :

1 1 Avatar Fox $68,300,000 -9.7% 3,461 +5 $19,734 $352,111,000 - 3
2 2 Sherlock Holmes WB $38,385,000 -38.5% 3,626 - $10,586 $140,675,000 - 2
3 3 Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel Fox $36,600,000 -25.1% 3,747 +47 $9,768 $157,345,000 - 2
4 4 It's Complicated Uni. $18,700,000 -15.4% 2,897 +10 $6,455 $59,105,000 - 2
5 5 The Blind Side WB $12,650,000 +10.3% 2,926 +160 $4,323 $209,052,000 $29 7
6 6 Up in the Air Par. $11,350,000 +0.7% 1,895 - $5,989 $45,020,000 $25 5
7 7 The Princess and the Frog BV $10,013,000 +11.2% 3,328 -147 $3,009 $86,085,000 $105 6
8 9 Did You Hear About the Morgans? Sony $5,200,000 +4.0% 2,718 - $1,913 $25,620,000 $58 3
9 8 Nine Wein. $4,250,000 -22.1% 1,412 - $3,010 $14,047,000 $80 3
10 10 Invictus WB $4,130,000 +2.1% 2,170 +10 $1,903 $30,755,000 $60

This puts it already as No. 4 in all-time box office:

1. Titanic $1,842,879,955
2. Return of the King $1,119,110,941
3. Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725
4. Avatar $1,018,811,000
5. The Dark Knight $1,001,921,825

"Sherlock Holmes" retained 38% of its audience and with the international release will likely reach $ 150 M, not enough to show a good profit.