Avatar Dec. 18th IMAX 3D Second Trailer

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 05:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You will not find a single person on A2K who has read or watched more Sci-fi than myself. I have a library of about 2 thousand novels, 95% of them sc-fi and fantasy. There are very few sci-fi shows which appeared on TV which I haven't watched (mostly in their entirety) and I've seen as many movies as anyone.

Have you read a novel by Daniel Keys Moran called "The Last Dancer"?

Like you, I've read thousands of sci-fi novels, and enjoyed many, but The Last Dancer was the best by far.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 05:54 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You will not find a single person on A2K who has read or watched more Sci-fi than myself. I have a library of about 2 thousand novels, 95% of them sc-fi and fantasy. There are very few sci-fi shows which appeared on TV which I haven't watched (mostly in their entirety) and I've seen as many movies as anyone.

Have you read a novel by Daniel Keys Moran called "The Last Dancer"?

Like you, I've read thousands of sci-fi novels, and enjoyed many, but The Last Dancer was the best by far.

Yup. Great book, great series - it's hard to find books from the Continuing Time series nowadays.

Cycloptichorn
rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yup. Great book, great series - it's hard to find books from the Continuing Time series nowadays.

Amazing. I've never met anyone else who has even heard of that book. I'm impressed.

DK Moran doesn't seem to be writing novels any more. However, there are a few manuscripts for "planned" novels online. "The Man SpaceThing War" is pretty good and retains much of the writing style which I loved in The Last Dancer.

You can read them here: http://www.kithrup.com/dkm/index.html
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:04 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Amazing. I've never met anyone else who has even heard of that book. I'm impressed.

DK Moran doesn't seem to be writing novels any more. However, there are a few manuscripts for "planned" novels online. "The Man SpaceThing War" is pretty good and retains much of the writing style which I loved in The Last Dancer.

You can read them here: http://www.kithrup.com/dkm/index.html

W O R D

Thanks bro

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 07:18 pm
@rosborne979,
I just recently received "Dark City" in its Director's Cut in Blu-Ray disc. I'm anxious to watch it. I did briefly go through the disc to see the quality improvement and it was outstanding. Amazon is selling all these Blu-Ray discs at pretty decent prices, and I also check Deep Discount DVD.

Did not like Ford's narration nor the tacked-on happy ending with borrowed footage from Kubrick's "The Shining." The studio did this because of the test response of the studio preview -- it happened to be one that I did attend. I just also received the deluxe set of "Blade Runner" with all three versions, and a version which is the studio preview rough cut.

Have to make time -- I haven't watched the Torchwood mini-series "Children of Earth" yet, either.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:45 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
Have to make time -- I haven't watched the Torchwood mini-series "Children of Earth" yet, either.

Is Torchwood getting any better? I watched the first few episodes and they seemed a bit silly. Like they were trying to be serious, but couldn't quite shake the "Dr Who" out of their hair.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 07:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

Cameron's films can be hit-or-miss on the story, but it looked like there was plenty there to hang a story on.

Can't tell anything about the story from a trailer.

Wow, disagree there. The preview makes clear:

- Main char. ships off to other planet
- Standard resource war vs. indigenous people going on
- Main char. implanted in 'avatar' clone body
- Main char. begins to identify more with the enemy
- Main char. enters romantic relationship with pretty enemy lady
- Main char. eventually joins sides with enemy
- Main char. leads enemy fight against old allies

Take away the sci-fi stuff and you have the exact plot of Dancing with Wolves. I wish more effort had been spent to come up with something more original, instead of focusing on the stupid '3d' effect.

Cycloptichorn

The premise doesn't bother me. I just hope it's more then a tad better then Dancing With Wolves, an unbelievably boring movie.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:12 pm
@rosborne979,
The series improved dramatically with some brilliant time travel episodes -- the characterizations became much stronger than Dr. Who, so much so that there's a little mourning over the loss of a principal character in "Children of Earth."
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
my personal radio god ron bennington made a great statement after viewing the trailer for avatar

he said no matter how reprehensible the humans are, he can't root for the aliens over the humans
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:20 pm
@djjd62,
I'm worried about the lead actor. His voice acting is questionable in the trailer (when he's dubbed into the alien avatar body).
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
The film is still in post-production and it was obvious there was some digital enhancement of his human voice so he would sound like the aliens. Post-production means they're still working on the special effects and might even be re-shooting a limited number of scenes or they could even be adding scenes before the final edit. They often allow themselves around two weeks before the reels (or hard drives with the 3D IMAX that are digitally projected) make it to theaters.

Sam Worthington's filmography isn't the most impressive but remember, Cameron really made Sigourney Weaver a household name:

Filmography

Actor:

* In Production
* 2000s

1. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo (2011) (pre-production) (rumored) .... Captain Nemo
2. The Tourist (2011) (pre-production)
3. Clash of the Titans (2010) (post-production) .... Perseus
4. Last Night (2010) (post-production) .... Michael Reed
5. The Debt (2010) (post-production) .... Young David
6. Avatar (2009) (post-production) .... Jake Sully
... aka Avatar: An IMAX 3D Experience (USA: IMAX version)
... aka James Cameron's Avatar (USA: promotional title)

7. Terminator Salvation (2009) .... Marcus Wright
... aka T4: Salvation (USA: promotional abbreviation)
... aka Terminator salvation - L'inizio della fine (Italy)
... aka Terminator: Die Erlösung (Germany)
8. Rogue (2007) .... Neil Kelly
... aka Rogue Crocodile (Singapore: English title)
9. "Two Twisted" .... Gus Rogers (1 episode, 2006)
- Delivery Man (2006) TV episode .... Gus Rogers
10. Macbeth (2006/I) .... Macbeth
11. "The Surgeon" .... Dr. Sam Dash (8 episodes, 2005)
- Episode #1.8 (2005) TV episode .... Dr. Sam Dash
- Episode #1.7 (2005) TV episode .... Dr. Sam Dash
- Episode #1.6 (2005) TV episode .... Dr. Sam Dash
- Episode #1.5 (2005) TV episode .... Dr. Sam Dash
- Episode #1.4 (2005) TV episode .... Dr. Sam Dash
(3 more)
12. Fink! (2005) .... Able
13. The Great Raid (2005) .... PFC Lucas
14. "Love My Way" .... Howard Light (9 episodes, 2004-2005)
- Garden of Love (2005) TV episode .... Howard Light
- Only Mortal (2005) TV episode .... Howard Light
- A Different Planet (2005) TV episode .... Howard Light
- My Family Up a Tree (2005) TV episode .... Howard Light
- To Dance with Death (2004) TV episode .... Howard Light
(4 more)
15. Blue Poles (2004) .... Miles
16. Somersault (2004) .... Joe
17. Thunderstruck (2004) .... Ronnie
18. Gettin' Square (2003) .... Barry 'Wattsy' Wirth
19. Dirty Deeds (2002) .... Darcy
... aka Sacré boulot (Canada: French title)
20. Hart's War (2002) .... Cpl. B.J. 'Depot' Guidry
21. A Matter of Life (2001) .... Our Hero
22. "Blue Heelers" .... Shane Donovan (1 episode, 2000)
- Bloodlines (2000) TV episode .... Shane Donovan
23. Bootmen (2000) .... Mitchell
24. "Water Rats" .... Phillip Champion (1 episode, 2000)
- Able to Leap Tall Buildings (2000) TV episode .... Phillip Champion
25. "JAG" .... Dunsmore (1 episode, 2000)
... aka JAG: Judge Advocate General (Australia)
- Boomerang: Part 1 (2000) TV episode .... Dunsmore
0 Replies

CoutureQueen12

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 04:16 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'm extremely excited about this movie and I love me some Cameron <3
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:00 pm
@CoutureQueen12,
Not always everyone's cup-of-tea but Cameron almost always delivers as far as the critics and the box office are concerned -- not the easiest trick in the book. The 1080P version of the trailer looks really good -- I saw it at a friends house on a 240 HZ SONY top-of-the-line which is probably as close to the IMAX image as it can get and it was vastly improved over watching it on a computer screen.
panzade

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:20 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
I read the article in the New Yorker about it and it piqued my interest.

How do you get your New Yorker a week before I do?

Fascinating glimpse of Cameron. Talented. A son-of-a-bitch.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:31 pm
@panzade,
He is a task master according to nearly everyone that had worked for him but they're forgiving in stating they learned a lot from him.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 07:34 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
The 1080P version of the trailer looks really good.

Putting aside how good it looks, do you think the story will be worth it?

I'm guessing that the expensive mineral they are mining has something to do with the floating landscape (as ridiculous as even that premise is).
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 08:42 pm
@rosborne979,
I still think Cameron is too smart other than to just hint at the plot outline with a few Red Herrings thrown in to keep everyone off-guard until the premiere.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 07:33 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
I still think Cameron is too smart other than to just hint at the plot outline with a few Red Herrings thrown in to keep everyone off-guard until the premiere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna go see it no matter what. And I'll probably try to see it in full blown IMAX in 3D on the first trip. I just hope the story isn't too trite.

It's my understanding that this film will be shown in IMAX in full 3d with those polarized glasses. Is that correct?
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:48 pm
@rosborne979,
Yes, it's the polarized glasses, at least they've made them more comfy. Scientists and engineers are very close to producing an authentic 3-D hologram in the size of an IMAX screen but so far it's way beyond the cost factors.

What Cameron script has been "trite?" I find him a very convincing cinematic story teller on part with Spielberg and Ridley Scott, perhaps not quite up to Kubrick, but part of his talent is he can appeal to a large box office without being trite.

Mentioning Ridley brings to mind that on my list of Blu-Ray discs has to be the Director's Cut of Alien.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 06:17 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
What Cameron script has been "trite?"

What Cameron movie has ever been hyped for it's technical aspects more than it's story before?