my dogs become aggressive

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:50 am
Hi everyone, im having prolems with my staffy she is 3 and recently tried to attack a guest who visited our home growling at first and foaming at the mouth then trying to bit this guest. she also refuses to listen to verbal commands. We got her from a rescue when she was 8 months old and wonndering if this has anything to do with it. She also went to bite the vet, and recently was in kennels for a week while we went o holiday, whilst there she would not let any one near her, she went for all the staff, they couldn't even tempt her with her lead and she loves going out. She has always been very dominant

Create a Room
Please Wait, Room Is Being Created...

Create a Room
Room Creation Failed: (Reasons)
» The room may already exist.
» You entered an invalid room name.
» Admins may have set a limit on the amount of rooms a user can create.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,841 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:14 am
@JACQUIEH,
I would suggest a professional evaluation to see if the dog is trainable. Stafford terriers are an aggressive breed and need a firm hand to keep them under control. It's possible that your dog can not be socialized and will either have to be kept away from all people and animals or in the worst case - put down. I don't think the fact you got her at 8 months is the problem, it's just in their DNA. A good owner can go a long way in controlling a dogs instincts, but sometimes the dog is beyond help. I personally would not get the breed again and I would never allow one that showed any sign of aggression to go near children or other pets. Are you in the US? If so, you need to speak to your insurance company about special liability insurance for this breed. Good luck.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 07:49 am
Wow - my SIL's Pom/poodle mix is the same. Uncontrollable and very agressive male. Also has bad breath - and is just 2 years old.

She refuses to believe that this dog has anything wrong with it. I told her not to let that dog be around young children and she looked at me funny.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 04:29 pm
@JACQUIEH,
Woah! I've rescued 2 Staffordshire Terrier mixes and have researched the breed because of this.

Aggression towards humans is actually very rare in this breed, because dog-fighting was what they were bred for, and humans had to be able to intervene without being bitten. (Dogs who bit handlers were killed.)

Both of my mixes are dog-aggressive, but they adore both cats and people, even children, and are always extra-gentle with them both.

My one mix (Poo's her name) has helped me raise many, many kittens, with a tolerance and gentleness that's extraordinary for any dog.

I've never had a dog that was agressive towards people.

My FIL has 2 Dachsunds that have bitten virtually ALL of their grandchildren... while my large pit-bull mixes have never bitten anyone, or even growled at anyone (even Vets, while in severe pain) so let's not get all freaked out about this breed.

I'm thinking you need professional assistance. Can you possibly afford it? If not, well, there's a lot of good info on the Internet.

Keep us updated, OK?
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 04:35 pm
@JACQUIEH,
Quote:
She has always been very dominant.

She's not allowed to display any dominance towards any humans... period!

And if I were you, I'd muzzle her at the vet, every time. They have muzzles now that are soft, allowing the dog to pant but not bite.
0 Replies