jespah

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:24 am
I've never, ever worked in a place where people dressed up for Halloween. Do you, or have you? Do tell.

Oh and here's an example of how it can all go horribly, deliciously wrong.

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:57 am
@jespah,
No one dresses up in our firm, but the girls put out some candies, and
after Halloween we all bring the leftover candy to work and indulge shamelessly.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 09:39 am
@jespah,
Dressing up seems to be big in retail. Until this year, our company had contests for best costumes, prizes ($) etc. It was a really big deal. This year there is no money apparently and you may dress up if you choose or if you want to wear "regular clothes" (steel toes and name tag mandatory) you can choose to donate $2 to our company charity and wear jeans, for example, as long as what you wear still allows you to do your job safely. I have, fortunately, never been scheduled to work Hallowe'en. I enjoy handing out candy to children at home in the evening but do not want to dress up.

As for inappropriate, one fellow last year had an amazing costume. He dyed long underwear (top and bottoms) deep purple, attached multiple purple balloons from shoulders to mid-thighs, and wore this vine-y stuff on his head. He was, of course, Fruit of the Loom man. The inappropriateness came about when his immature fellow colleagues tried to burst strategically placed balloons Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:14 pm
@jespah,
For some reason, American-based insurance companies seem to love Hallowe'en. Love 'em. <writes the woman dressed in costume. again>

It's always interesting to go back to an American-based insurer after years with Canajun or German-based companies. The corporate culture is quite noticeably different.

The place Jes and I both once worked for was outstanding in terms of its love of Hallowe'en. The VP they shipped up to work with us (our office was a career-maker or killer) seemed to see getting into the social pages of the company newsletter as her primary goal. One Hallowe'en we finally made it for her - after taking days off decorating and costuming teams - having haunted houses in interview rooms - and closing the phone lines down for half a day for a professional group photo.
George

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The place Jes and I both once worked for was outstanding in terms of its love
of Hallowe'en. The VP they shipped up to work with us (our office was a career-
maker or killer) seemed to see getting into the social pages of the company
newsletter as her primary goal. One Hallowe'en we finally made it for her - after
taking days off decorating and costuming teams - having haunted houses in
interview rooms - and closing the phone lines down for half a day for a
professional group photo.

Whoa! I can't even imagine that.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:10 pm
@George,
my nighttime bar tender is coming as a sexy referee in a mini-skirt and garters, and none of you better try and stop her...

(mebbe pix, i will ask her)
George

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:26 pm
@Rockhead,
At least let us know what penalties you get called for.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:32 pm
@George,
I will be the guy in the hockey mask and a chainsaw, charged with enforcing penalties.

least ways that is the plan now.

my boss's old man is going to be a condom...

(we told him that was not such a big stretch. . .)
George

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:41 pm
@Rockhead,
tada-boom!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:43 pm
Just came from an awesome Halloween party, where nearly everyone dressed up. Go office!

Cycloptichorn
mm25075

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:46 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Quote:
The place Jes and I both once worked for was outstanding in terms of its love
of Hallowe'en. The VP they shipped up to work with us (our office was a career-
maker or killer) seemed to see getting into the social pages of the company
newsletter as her primary goal. One Hallowe'en we finally made it for her - after
taking days off decorating and costuming teams - having haunted houses in
interview rooms - and closing the phone lines down for half a day for a
professional group photo.

Whoa! I can't even imagine that.

My insurance company doesn't do it anymore for "Security" reasons. They've gone very very very conservative when it comes to allowing any kinds of 'celebratory' parties. *sigh*
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Just came from an awesome Halloween party, where nearly everyone dressed up. Go office!

Cycloptichorn

....and your costume was?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 03:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

....and your costume was?

A variation of this:

http://www.provincia.venezia.it/html/..%5Cupload%5Cfiles%5C00000004%5C00001484%5Cbauta.jpg

But scarier. Kind of freaky really. I'll have to see if I can find a picture from last year.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 03:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
Details, man, details!

As for the aforementioned company, the Legal Dep't did not dress up. Closest we ever came was A____ dressing as Santa for the holiday parties.
jespah

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 10:06 am
@jespah,
Not from work, this is a dude I know from Twitter:
http://adriandayton.com/2009/10/1370/
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 11:43 am
@jespah,
The scariest thing I found on that site you linked us to, Jes, was the startling revelation that Target and Walmart have been selling something called 'illegal alien' costumes. Whoa! Do they have Li'l Sambo outfits, too, I wonder. That truly startled me. Green card and everything, huh?
jespah

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 02:25 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Skeery.

BTW we saw a dude yesterday in Star Market who was dressed as the swine flu. This involved a pig costume, wings and a surgical mask.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 09:33 am
I'm working in Financial Services now, and a department over (I have no idea what those people do) had decorations, 3 witches (shoulda had a cauldron!) and a male vampire.

Go ahead and trust your retirement savings to the undead.
0 Replies

repdahooodbruh

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 10:04 am
@jespah,
sex drugs rock & roll,
speed weed & birth control,
life's a bitch & then u die,
so f**k the world & lets get high!

m
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 05:06 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I've never, ever worked in a place where people dressed up for Halloween. Do you, or have you? Do tell.

Oh and here's an example of how it can all go horribly, deliciously wrong.

Sorry to be the party pooper, but I must say I rather have to agree with these comments on that link:

Quote:
The bigger issue here is not “inappropriate” or “appropriate” costumes, but rather why do adults need to dress up for Halloween in the first place? I stopped dressing up for Halloween when I was like 13 because Halloween is for children! In this country’s long past heyday when people had dignity and class, normal adults didn’t dress up for Halloween…Just like everything, Halloween has had to become an industry onto itself that, in order to grow, must expand beyond children to adults as well.