WOUD OUR SPECIES BE BETTER OFF IF BREEDING WERE INTENTIONAL?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:20 pm
It wouldn't matter unless there is some means of testing intellect in utero. The results would be the same in a random or a planned population.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
In other words, David would want Brave New World. Create an Alpha, Beta, etc., range of humans.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
@rosborne979,
Why should there be two parties? Under David's system, there only needs to be a woman and sperm donor . . . until we can create a functional artificial womb, as in Brave New World . . . a man would need a surrogate.

As someone who wrote a thesis on Medieval marriage, I have to point out that there is no real difference between hiring a surrogate mother and marrying a woman for dynastic purposes.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:47 pm

As a libertarian, I favor freedom in many areas,
so long as no one 's rights r violated e.g., freedom in reproduction.

David
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
WOUD OUR SPECIES BE BETTER OFF
IF ALL HUMAN BREEDING WERE INTENTIONAL ?

Yes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 11:56 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

Yes.
SO STIPULATED!

David
plainoldme

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 07:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Many planned for and wanted children are abused, whether intentionally abused or abused through the ignorance of their parents.

I do think that the Brave New World would suit you better than this one.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 12:18 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Many planned for and wanted children are abused,
whether intentionally abused or abused through the ignorance of their parents.
I have observed some of it.
On very seldom occasions, I have defended some of those children.

plainoldme wrote:
I do think that the Brave New World would suit you better than this one.
There may be better ways of gestation provided by future science.
However that may be, the citizens have the right (9th Amendment) to reproduce the more traditional way.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 02:01 am
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
WOUD OUR SPECIES BE BETTER OFF IF ALL HUMAN BREEDING WERE INTENTIONAL?

Quote:
Tupac answered: Yes.

I'm curious to know how anyone could possibly think they could give a definitive answer to this.

Because what you're saying is that all products of planned pregnancies, which would include those essentially 'engineered' children born after the advent of and widespread use of birth control and IVF and artificial insemination, etc., have or would or will contribute more to our species than all of the more randomly produced people in history thus far.

What you're saying is that you're willing to cut out all of the contributions of anyone who had been adopted, or anyone who was the result of a spontaneous union which may have been between two wonderful genetically enhanced people who were not intending at that moment in time to produce offspring, but did.

It's a ridiculous premise and it's offensive to anyone who values spontanaity and diversity in their surroundings or life.

I really wouldn't want to live within a species that was so narrowly defined as 'better' or 'preferred'- and essentially engineered.

And actually - neither of my two children would make your cut. My son was an unplanned but happy surprise and my daughter was born at a time and place in which her birth mother couldn't care for her. And I've met you David, and I can tell you that they are both as genetically strong and wonderful as you are. Our species would not be better off if they were not present.

How many of us know that we were 'planned' or 'intentional'? I don't - I just know I was happily received.

I think our species would be better off if we could approach all human beings the same way.
aidan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:03 am
@aidan,
Sorry 2packs for calling you tupac - my brain has always just translated your username to tupac. It was unintentional - probably like tupac himself, as a matter of fact.
Amigo

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:17 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

http://able2know.org/topic/26748-1

If u had it within your power to change our species
so that no child woud ever be born, nor conceived,
except as an INTENTIONAL ACT, woud u do so ?

WHATAYATHINK?

No, I would not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:15 am
@aidan,
What would you prefer, and why would it be better? I mean, some female walks down the street, the fairy godmother waves the wand, and boom - she's pregnant? This is how it should go? Nice surprise, but forget the last two years of college, or whatever happened to be going on at the time.

Quote:
What you're saying is that you're willing to cut out all of the contributions of anyone who had been adopted, or anyone who was the result of a spontaneous union which may have been between two wonderful genetically enhanced people who were not intending at that moment in time to produce offspring, but did.

This seems a really strange thing to be saying, just in my opinion.
aidan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:22 am
@roger,
I am saying Roger, that I would not deny the positive potential of the existence of any individual based on the fact that two people didn't sit down and carefully draw up a plan for when and how and where this third person would be 'bred'- and that I cannot say that our species would be better without probably the majority of people who have contributed to it throughout history whose existence was not so carefully planned that they were 'bred' intentionally.

Fairy godmothers do not wave wands and make college girls pregnant. But I happen to know a few college girls who got pregnant, had the baby and were able to lead functional lives and have raised these 'unplanned' and 'unintentional' children into wonderful and productive adults who contribute in a positive way to our species.

I'm sorry you find my ideas and opinions 'strange'. Maybe it's because I wasn't specifically and intentionally 'bred' to meet your standards of contributing positively to our species.

Because I find this 'concept' -that the species might be better off without all the people who weren't specifically and intentionally produced -to be strange and in fact, offensive.

Just because someone's beginning is not optimum in its planning and intent- doesn't mean they can't end up contributing something great to our society and species.

roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:29 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I am saying Roger, that I would not deny the positive potential of the existence of any individual based on the fact that two people didn't sit down and carefully draw up a plan for when and how and where this third person would be 'bred'- and that I cannot say that our species would be better without probably the majority of people who have contributed to it throughout history whose existence was not so carefully planned that they were 'bred' intentionally.

That is one long sentence to argue something that isn't being discussed by anyone but yourself. Same is true of the rest of the post, but whatever. . . .
aidan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:33 am
@roger,
Quote:
Woud our species be better off if breeding were intentional?

was the question.
If someone answers 'yes' to this question, they are saying that they believe that our species would be better off if there wasn't unintentional breeding- that negates (or casts in a less positive light than those who are/were intentionally bred) the existence of an awful lot of human beings.

That's what I'm addressing.

I'm sorry that my sentence length doesn't meet your standards for what is acceptable but as you said yourself - whatever.
roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:43 am
@aidan,
Enjoy your discussion
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:44 am
@aidan,
Thank you Roger, I have found it very interesting to think about. You enjoy yours too.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:15 am
life is cheap

http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/spc/exhibits/Images/51large.jpg
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:53 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Sorry 2packs for calling you tupac - my brain has always just translated your username to tupac. It was unintentional - probably like tupac himself, as a matter of fact.

No problem, some folks here {and on other web sites} have called me 2Pac or Tupac at times, I do not mind in the least....I am a fan of his work.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 10:58 pm
I know that my one word answer might seem short, off the hip, or just bereft of any emotion....but I have given this topic a great deal of thought, as I was, and am an unintentionl child.

-----------

David and I share very similar views, on a majority of topics....he often says exactly what I think, but do not say...and he often catches hell for it. This being one of his threads....I knew that he would take my brief answer at face value....and perhaps appreciate the concrete answer...."duly noted".