WOUD OUR SPECIES BE BETTER OFF IF BREEDING WERE INTENTIONAL?

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:39 am
I think it would be great if we had to switch on our fertility rather than supress it until we want to have a kid.

I chose not to have kids and I had to prevent it by taking a pill every day for 20+ years. What a hassle!

I think it would be great for every kid to arrive into a family that truly wanted and was ready for them.

There probably wouldn't be any need for abortion outside of theraputic or crisis circumstances.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:16 pm
I'm not totally positive I know what you are asking, but I do the think the world would be a better place if only people who wanted to get pregnant did so. If only people who wanted to be parents became parents we would have happier, healthier families and probably a much smaller population overall. This would require making education and birth control accessible to every person who wanted it. It would also have to allow women to have the power and legal backing to say "no" to their men no matter what their culture. I'm not optimistic.

I would never take away a woman's legal right to abortion, it wouldn't stop abortion anyway. I would rather see the need for the procedure to go away with education and responsible use and availability of contraception. I've never known a woman to take the decision to have an abortion lightly and many are haunted by it for the rest of their lives. But that is their problem, not society's. Laws based on religious belief scare me. God apparently has no trouble striking down first borns (see Exodus), so I don't see how religious people can say they are against abortion when their own God uses infanticide as punishment for bad behavior.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

You certainly jump around. From selective breeding to cloning.
Well, these are all among the choices available in this universe.

My own choice has been not to breed.
I 'm sure that u will approve of that.

Yes. I think that is a good thing.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:51 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

There probably wouldn't be any need for abortion outside of theraputic or crisis circumstances.

Not according to David
rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
If u had it within your power to change our species
so that no child woud ever be born, nor conceived, except as an INTENTIONAL ACT, woud u do so ?

Would it be intentional by both parties, or just by one? What would happen in split decisions?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
WOUD OUR SPECIES BE BETTER OFF
IF ALL HUMAN BREEDING WERE INTENTIONAL ?

By the way, while intentional breeding might be a good thing at our current state of evolution, if it had been the case millions of years ago, I doubt we would be here to ponder the option.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:13 pm
@Green Witch,
I think what he's asking is -- would it be better if we told our bodies that we were ready to procreate; that we had to do something that made them ready -- a reverse birth control. Instead of using something to prevent pregnancy we had to use something to make it possible.

Quote:
This would require making education and birth control accessible to every person who wanted it.

In David's scenario it means the opposite. There wouldn't be any need for birth control. You couldn't get pregnant until both the man AND the woman decided that the time was right and took something to make them fertile.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:58 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think what he's asking is -- would it be better if we told our bodies that we were ready to procreate; that we had to do something that made them ready -- a reverse birth control. Instead of using something to prevent pregnancy we had to use something to make it possible.

Quote:
This would require making education and birth control accessible to every person who wanted it.

In David's scenario it means the opposite. There wouldn't be any need for birth control. You couldn't get pregnant until both the man AND the woman decided that the time was right and took something to make them fertile.

Is that how you read him?

David wrote:
Quote:
so that no child woud ever be born, nor conceived,
except as an INTENTIONAL ACT, woud u do so ?

He is talking about changing the species. Actually, I am no longer sure that I even know what he is talking about. He wants to change the species and only have conception when it is intentionally wanted. He then goes on to say that he still advocates abortion under this senario. Does that make any reasonable sense at all?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:11 pm
@boomerang,
Ahhh, thank you Boomer. I'll have to do some thinking on that.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:12 pm
@Intrepid,
That does complicate the stew.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:17 pm
I guess we'll have to let David clarify, but yes, that's how I read the question because I absolutely DON'T have the power to change the species and neither does anyone else.

I think he means it in an evolutionary way but as it has been pointed out, that would not have made sense in our history. TODAY it would make sense if we had evolved that way..... maybe.

And I'm certainly no cheerleader for abortion but sometimes it is the right option.

I was an unplanned child - barely a year younger than my older sister. My mom tells the story of sitting int he gyno's office crying when she found out she was preganant with me. Once she got over the shock she wanted me and she loved me and she never looked back.

Not everyone is so lucky.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:18 pm
@Intrepid,
just on principle I would never agree with Intrepid however I think he's nailed down David pretty well.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:28 pm
@dyslexia,
I love ya, man
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:32 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think it would be great if we had to switch on our fertility rather than supress it until we want to have a kid.

I chose not to have kids and I had to prevent it by taking a pill every day for 20+ years. What a hassle!

I think it would be great for every kid to arrive into a family that truly wanted and was ready for them.

SO STIPULATED.

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:40 pm
I think David has asked an interesting question and despite whether you agree with him on most topics or not, this is a fascinating question to consider.

I know my take on it might be a little different than some people. It wasn't too long ago that Mo shared his adoption story with his two best friends and their question was "Why didn't your mom and dad want you?"

What a mess.

It was horrid.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:54 pm
@boomerang,
I understand messes. I am raising three children that their "mom and dad" did not want.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:00 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Quote:
I'm not totally positive I know what you are asking,
but I do the think the world would be a better place if only people who wanted to get pregnant did so.
That 's what I was asking.

Green Witch wrote:
Quote:
If only people who wanted to be parents became parents we would have happier,
healthier families and probably a much smaller population overall.
That how I c it.

Green Witch wrote:
Quote:

This would require making education and birth control accessible
to every person who wanted it.
No. The concept is that every woman is immune from pregncy unless she does
something intentional & voluntary (the equivalent of flipping a pregnancy switch).

Green Witch wrote:
Quote:

It would also have to allow women to have the power and legal backing
to say "no" to their men no matter what their culture. I'm not optimistic.
To reproduction ?

Green Witch wrote:
Quote:
I would never take away a woman's legal right to abortion,
it wouldn't stop abortion anyway.
Neither woud I; its a natural right to use her body as she chooses.
I did not suggest anything else.

Green Witch wrote:
Quote:

I would rather see the need for the procedure to go away with
education and responsible use and availability of contraception.
I've never known a woman to take the decision to have an
abortion lightly and many are haunted by it for the rest of their lives.

But that is their problem, not society's.
Very well said.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:01 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

You certainly jump around. From selective breeding to cloning.
Well, these are all among the choices available in this universe.

My own choice has been not to breed.
I 'm sure that u will approve of that.

Yes. I think that is a good thing.
We can agree about somethings.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:03 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

boomerang wrote:

Not according to David
I said nothing about any NEEDS, Richard.
Rather, I addressed personal rights and future possibilities.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:11 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
so that no child woud ever be born, nor conceived, except as an INTENTIONAL ACT, woud u do so ?

Would it be intentional by both parties, or just by one? What would happen in split decisions?

Thank u for bringing up that point.
EITHER potential parent shoud be able to prevent pregnancy,
the same as either already can, by staying apart from the other.
0 Replies