Would you rather add years to your life or life to your years?

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:57 pm
I have been noticing lately how many methods there are for extending your life. From eating only certain amount of calories to staying out of the sun to even drinking your own urine. So here is my question. Is it better to add years to your life or add life to your years? I mean who would want to live forever if you could not do the things that made life worth living.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,301 • Replies: 10
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:08 pm
@g7yarbro,
Since immortality is most likely not going to happen in my life, I guess life to my years.

So if I was financially secure these days, I would live life to the fullest now. I wouldn't live life recklessly as that's not my style but I would enjoy life in moderation which means to me as living in the now or adding life to my years.

Immortality is the ... have your cake and eat it too option, encompassing both adding years to ones life and life to ones years.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:20 pm
@g7yarbro,
I once knew an M.D. who would tell his patients that, if they were healthy to begin with and came to him when they were young enough, he could absolutely guarantee that they would live to be at least 100 years of age and quite possibly much longer. Then he would add: "But you'd have to follow the regimen I'd prescribe. And if you did that -- no alcohol, no drugs, no sex life, boring food -- I don't know why you'd possibly want to live that long.

I'm not interested in longevity; I care about quality of life.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:30 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Yeah, I totally agree Merry Andrew. What kind of life could it be if one lived life as the most disciplined hermetic and ascetic lifestyle of a 5th century monk in a cave?!

It would be a dreadful life indeed.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:46 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'm not interested in longevity; I care about quality of life.

Definitely! Quality of life is the most important thing, and should I die while
having fun, so be it! I would not want to be the oldest crone in the hospice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:52 pm
I think all of this talk is luxurious.

You will understand this comment some time later.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Just curious many years is some time later. I'm 37 years old. I will be 38 next month. Do I have to wait say ... 20 ... 30 ... more years until enlightenment or until the I'm hit with the epiphany?! Wink
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't think I'm much younger than you, Osso, chronologically speaking. I'll be 71 in Decemer. But there seems to be a difference in our outlook, irrespective of age.

You're just a kid, czarstepan. Smile But right now you're in what should be the absolutely best decade of your life. After 40, you start to slow down a tad. Not that much but enough.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:51 pm
@g7yarbro,
if i add years to your life and life to your years
then am i multiplying with you
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:56 pm
@oolongteasup,
Quote:
if i add years to your life and life to your years
then am i multiplying with you

Oooh la la! Flirting will get you somewhere. It may not be the right place you wanted to go but it will be somewhere.... Wink
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:37 am
@ossobuco,
I think I understand what you mean Osso. I have noticed a real sort of sea change in my father's affect as he gets older. He's always been a very take-charge, hale and hearty, competent and happy person with an outgoing demeanor. I've noticed as he ages and one after the other of his parents and his older brothers have aged before him and died, he is quieter.
Not unhappy or depressed- just quieter. And I think he does think about the fact that what once looked like unlimited future (and I know no one's future is unlimited by guarantee whatsoever - but if you're reasonably healthy you might think you will have a certain number of years to enjoy life) is now given some definite limits.
Because if you have enjoyed your life thus far - just because you're older, doesn't mean you're ready to see it end.

I have an 87 year old friend who says almost everyday - when I ask him how he's doing: 'Fine - I just wish I were ten years younger.'

He doesn't want to be young again - he just wants to know that he'll have another ten years.

I think if I'm healthy - I'll feel the same. It'll be hard to think of trading any of my years. Because I have really enjoyed life and I won't want it to come to an end. I can't say what I'll think or feel if I'm not healthy.

The good thing about life though is the fact of the matter is that if you add life to your years you also tend to add years to your life.
0 Replies