Fluent or not

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 05:00 am
TCM refers to Traditional Chinese Medicine in the context below. Do you think whether it is fluent English (not written by me)?

Context;
TCM English has been a weakness in TCM field. Many practitioners do not have enough confidence in translation. Here you can post your translation draft, and I hope those skilled in TCM translation can help correct it. This will improve your ability of TCM translation as well as providing a place for us to learn TCM English. I will be more than happy if we could have a lot of people participating in this board discussion
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 06:27 am
How about:

Translating TCM into English has been a challenge for those in the TCM field. Many practitioners do not have enough confidence in their ability to accurately translate. We encourage you to post your questions here where those skilled in TCM translation can help correct it. This will improve your ability to translate as well as provide a place for us to learn TCM English. We will be more than happy to have a lot of people participate in this board discussion.

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 07:33 am
@sullyfish6,
In the field of Tradition Chinese Medicine, (TCM)*, many practitioners find accurate translation into English a challenge. We encourage you to post your questions here to be answered by those skilled in TCM translation. We hope that many people will participate in this board discussion.

*When you intend to use an abbreviation, it is good style to spell the term or phrase once in full near the beginning, and show the abbreviation in parentheses as I have done.

I have removed a number of sentences which merely repeat what has either been stated or implied already.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 08:51 am
Mush better.
Thank you both.
contrex

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:07 am
@oristarA,
I edited badly.

In the field of Traditional Chinese Medicine, (TCM)*, many practitioners find accurate translation into English a challenge. We encourage you to post your questions here to be answered by those skilled in TCM translation. We hope that many people will participate in this board discussion.
oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 08:01 pm
@contrex,
It doesn't matter.

I INDEED read that in your previous post as "Traditional Chinese Medicine". Behold, my brain automatically ignored your paltry mistake and corrected it. Smile
panzade

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 10:07 pm
@oristarA,
just a small note ori.
Paltry is a great word but it doesn't really ring true when used with a mistake. It's used more to mean a (poor) excuse or a (pitiful) amount. Small mistake would be more appropriate.
0 Replies