gung-ho nations

fansy

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 05:10 am
Quote:
The recusants of Germany and France were dismissed as "Old Europe"; the gung-ho nations of the east, fizzing with post-Soviet pro-Americanism, were admired as the new.

I have found the origin of "gung-ho" which I quote as follows:
Quote:
This unofficial motto of the US Marine Corps is an abbreviation for the Mandarin Gongye Hezhoushe, or industrial cooperative. The term was used in China, starting in 1938, to refer to small, industrial operations that were being established in rural China to replace the industrial centers that had been captured by the Japanese. The phrase was clipped to the initial characters of the two words, gung ho (or gung he, as it would be transliterated today), which means "work together." This clipping became a slogan for the industrial cooperative movement.
Enter Lt. Col. Evans Carlson, US Marine Corps. Carlson was a military attache in the US embassy to China in the late-30s. In China, Carlson reported on both the operations of the Chinese army in the field as well as the country's industrial capacity and was favorably impressed by the industrial cooperatives. When he returned to the States and the US entered WWII, Carlson was appointed commander of the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion. Recalling his time in China, Carlson chose gung ho as the motto for his elite battalion and by late 1942 was widely adopted throughout the Marine Corps as an expression of spirit and "can do" attitude.
So the term "Gung Ho" now becomes a slang term meaning "Can Do."

However, I still cannot figure out the meaning of "gung-ho nations" in this context. Could it mean that the Asean countries, such as Singapore, Malasia, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. , and China included which "work together" as the expression "gung-ho" suggests?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 718 • Replies: 2
No top replies

lmur

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 06:01 am
@fansy,
In the context of the quoted sentence, the use of gung-ho suggests a sense of innovation and entrepreneurship. The countries of the East are experiencing an exciting change and are moving forward without fear.
engineer

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 08:56 am
@lmur,
Gung ho carries an aggressive, action orientated connotation. That's how it's used in this case. It is saying that these countries were aggressively pro-American and were willing to back their words with actions. It can be used in a complimentary fashion or as a term of ridicule. I believe the use here is the latter.
0 Replies