China is not a right place for study

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:49 am

Chinese Scholar Jumps to Death
Three Months from When He Left America

By OristarA

Tu Xinxu, 32, a scholar with PhD degree who just returned from United States to his motherland China three months ago, jumped from an 11-story general building of Zhejiang University to ground and was killed immediately. The day was September 17 this year. He left behind a 6-page will to his wife, who is still waiting her job assignment, and his 3-year-old daughter.

It is believed that when in Chicargo 3 month ago, where he obtained his doctorat, he was confident of his future. Why was the hope broken? In his will, he wrote, "At this moment, I know the decision that I've made when in America was hotheaded. The progress that followed up is derailed. I am grateful of the advices that some of my friends gave me before I left America. The reality in the sphere of learning in China is: cruel, faithless and relentless. Although I neglected the reality because of my self-confidence..."

There are much speculations about the reason why the young scholar chose death. Some said that he could not find the proper field to wield the power of his talent - the academic environment in China does not allow him to do so. Zhejiang University ate its word about what it has promised him: no scientific research item available for him, refused to give him the position of associate professor, which was much surely expected, and poor salary. The house that the university rented him was very simple and crude. He couldn't afford the kindergarten for his daughter. The price of real estate in Hangzhou was also beyond his dream...

But what is most important might be: China is not a right place for study, at least for the present.

=============================

PS: Any suggestions about English writing skills and grammatical corrections are welcomed here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,036 • Replies: 1
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 05:01 am
I wonder why no one wanted to comment...
0 Replies