Amend Constitution to allow foreign born presidents?

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 09:50 am
Piffka wrote:
The justification is we don't trust foreigners. Geez. I thought that was obvious.

LOL, I guess I accept xenophobia as a justification for exclusion less than others. It reminds me of the segregationists of yore ("We just can't trust blacks").
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 08:51 pm
Piffka wrote:
(The) retired University of Alabama history professor Forrest McDonald said [..] that 15 years before the Constitution was written, foreign operatives from Russia, Prussia and Austria conspired to get a favorable monarch elected to lead Poland. Once in place, the country was divided up among the three powers.

The Polish monarch was elected?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 08:53 pm
LMAO at Blatham and fishin'

Not bad at all ...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 09:45 pm
nimh wrote:
The Polish monarch was elected?

Well, you made me question that, too. Apparently, Nimh, that is how historians refer to the succession. Odd, isn't it? I read it has something to do with the change from being the Duchy of Saxony to the Electoral Saxony when "The Golden Bull of 1356 raised the duke of Saxe-Wittenberg to the permanent rank of elector, with the right to participate in the election of the Holy Roman Emperor."

Here are some other references:
Quote:
from infoplease.com (subject: Electoral Saxony) The rivalry between Saxony and Brandenburg (after 1701 the kingdom of Prussia) was a decisive factor in later Saxon history, as was the election (1697) of Augustus II (who was Frederick Augustus I as elector of Saxony) as king of Poland; the election led to an economic partnership between the declining Poland and Saxony...

Bio of Stanislaw August Poniatowski (1732 - 1798) -- last king of Poland

A History of Poland
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 11:34 pm
When you take it literally, German emporors were electec as well - until 1806 - by the "electorial princes and bishops" :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 04:01 pm
thanks piffka!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 10:40 pm
Ditto Exclamation
0 Replies