Amend Constitution to allow foreign born presidents?

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 11:15 pm
Hmmmm - Clinton looks white, anglo and protestant to me, BBB! Ain't Baptists ( I think that is what he is...) Protestant? I am sure they do not honour the Pope, nor believe in transubstantiation!

(The male bit I think we can take as read...heehee)

I am damned if I can find out the rules for PM here - but I am on a mission...

Naturalized foreign-born citizens can certainly become members of parliament...
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 11:20 pm
dlowan<

Here's how the word ethnocentric is defined:

ethnocentric: characterized by or based on the attitude that one's own group is superior.[/i]

The above definition is taken from Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition, (c)1999, Merriam-Webster, Inc., Springfield, Mass., USA, p, 398.

Hope this helps you!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 11:39 pm
Yes, WH - but I think the group considered superior is one's own ETHNIC group - and there are many ethnic groups in the USA. People are not formally barred from being president by non-anglo ethnicity - though it seems to be harder to get there for non-anglos - just as here. But it is a small point.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:25 am
German (and Austrian) Federal Presidents must be German (resp. Austian) citizens and older than 40 (in Autrsia, 45, I think).

Chancellor (PM, would be a simular position to the US president) similar to the above, but without age restrictions.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 05:35 am
In such circumstances, either bin Laden or Saddam could become President. All either would have to do is become Republican and persuade the Supreme Court to appoint him. Twisted Evil

In other words, resulting in an Administration not too unlike the present one. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 10:36 am
John Webb wrote:
In such circumstances, either bin Laden or Saddam could become President. All either would have to do is become Republican and persuade the Supreme Court to appoint him. Twisted Evil

In other words, resulting in an Administration not too unlike the present one. Rolling Eyes

Wish I'd thought of that first....... Razz
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 10:53 am
I think it is fairly typical for countries to require their head of state be a natural-born citizen. It keeps them from having divided loyalties. Sheesh, I was casually looking into my son being able to join the British army and he can't because he wasn't born in the UK or one of the commonwealths... and that was just to join the army as a private.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 11:07 am
williamhenry3 wrote:
dlowan wrote:
I am frankly puzzled by all the "no's".

dlowan<

The word ethnocentric applies to all the "no's."

Bullshit.
That is a disgusting accusation.

Why would anyone be puzzled by one of two possible responses?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 11:29 am
ye110man wrote:
since a vice-president can be an immigrant, would the order of succession skip him?

To become Vice-President you must meet the same qualifications as you would for becoming the President - IOW, A VP must also be a born a US Citizen.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:42 pm
Sofia - I am puzzled not that one of two possible options has occurred, but WHY - as I think was abvious.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:50 pm
"Mayflower semen".... that is the funniest combination of words I've bumped into for a while!

Let's narrow the options to a foreign-born and chisled-jaw fellow like Arnold and a black transexual atheist born in the Bronx.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 02:20 pm
dlowan wrote:
Sofia - I am puzzled not that one of two possible options has occurred, but WHY - as I think was abvious.

Contrary to williamhenry's statement, IMO, it has nothng to do with anyone's ethnicity. There are people of every possible ethnicity that meet all of the legal requirements as it sits right now.

A much simpler answer was to why people would say "no" is that change isn't worth the bother it would take to amend the Constiutution. Is this really the most pressing issue we have to deal with in the US?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 04:49 pm
OK - let me be clearer - leaving aside the amendment issue - and thinking only in theory - why are so many people against a foreign-born presidential candidate - if say a 20 year residency rule is met?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
if i read one of the earlier posts correctly (one of btrflynet's, I believe), 21 years of residency was one of the original requirements. It would be interesting to understand why it changed to a U.S. citizen at birth.

Well, maybe I'd never understand, but it would be an interesting thing to read about.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 05:02 pm
Hmmm - I guess it changed after there WERE lots of people born there? And after a hated wave of immigration, like the Irish, or the Chinese, or something? If it changed...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 06:37 pm
Perhpaps one of us (not me) will have a bit of time to look into the question more closely, but I suspect fishin's assumption is further from the truth than is Deb's.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 06:58 pm
Sofia wrote:

Because as those who gave that response noted there is no reason they can cite for it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:00 pm
dlowan wrote:
OK - let me be clearer - leaving aside the amendment issue - and thinking only in theory - why are so many people against a foreign-born presidential candidate - if say a 20 year residency rule is met?

xenophobia.

WH almost had it but messed up with the ethicity. It's just plain old xenophobia.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 08:04 pm
ehBeth wrote:
if i read one of the earlier posts correctly (one of btrflynet's, I believe), 21 years of residency was one of the original requirements. It would be interesting to understand why it changed to a U.S. citizen at birth.
Quote:

clowan wrote:
Hmmm - I guess it changed after there WERE lots of people born there? And after a hated wave of immigration, like the Irish, or the Chinese, or something? If it changed...

The change was made during the drafting of our Constitution in 1792. The original proposal was 21 years residency and that was changed to wording that allowed those who weren't born as citzens up until the point where the Constitution was ratified. If they were born after that date they had to have been born US Citzens. The 21 year residency proposal only survived for about 2 weeks before it was changed. (The very 1st proposal also required that the person be a land-owner but that was quickly done away with..)

dlowan wrote:

I wouldn't have any real objections to that. But I don't think it's ever gonna happen. lol
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 08:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Sofia wrote:

Because as those who gave that response noted there is no reason they can cite for it.

What real reason does anyone need? I don't really see where the existing system is broken here. Should we run around amending the Constitution just to prove that it can be done? I mean, this is a nice theoretical discussion and all but who really cares?
0 Replies