how is it prononounced?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:00 pm
@Fatima10,

Most respectfully: it is impossible for us to ascertain the opinions
or the motivations of the person who accused u of speaking like a Cuban.

The remark might have had its origin in facts of which u r not aware.
Possibly, that person disagrees with u about something that was not articulated.

If u feel like it,
u might sit with him and solicit comments on how well u speak Spanish.
See what happens.

David
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 12:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you for pointing out my error, which was due more to a slip of the finger than anything else.

As you can easily check out in my other posts, this particular point of English grammar is well integrated in my feeble knowledge...
Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 01:02 am
As a canuck who sadly speaks Spanish with a French Canadian accent, I'm still not sure how you would pronounce this. Is it like Coté or coat?
Thanks
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:40 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Thank you for pointing out my error, which was due more to a slip of the finger than anything else.

As you can easily check out in my other posts, this particular point of English grammar
is well integrated in my feeble knowledge...
Confirmation is unnecessary, Francis; your word is good enuf for me.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:44 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

As a canuck who sadly speaks Spanish with a French Canadian accent,
I'm still not sure how you would pronounce this.

Is it like Coté or coat?
Thanks
I don t recognize this name,
but as to the La Côte Basque Restaurant,
it was always pronounced closer to coat.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:00 am
Quote:
Is it like Coté or coat?

It is like Coté but not so heavy on the é

coche (car) is pronounced cochay
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:25 am
Boys, boys.
Let's settle this once and for all

De Pablo and Weatherly work together on NCIS, so I assume he knows how to pronounce her name.

He's calling her Cotey.
Looking briefly at other interviews with Cote de Pablo, they pronounce it Cotey as well.

She was born in Chile, raised in Miami.

I'm sure in Chile it would be pronounced Cotay, but apparently she prefers Cotey.
contrex

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:32 am
I should emphasise that I was refering to Castellano, (standard Iberian Spanish). In that version of Spanish, the e sound is pronounced like the ay in the English words play, day, hay etc. Also in Spanish an acute accent above a vowel e.g. é does not modify the pronunciation; it just shows that the syllable is to be emphasised. In spoken Castellano, in a word without any accented vowels, all syllables are given the same weight, unlike, say Italian, where the penultimate syllable is generally emphasised.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:37 am
@chai2,
Thats frustrating. The Gringo says "Coatee" (which is definitely an Americanized version), and she never says her name herself.

Is there a clip where she says her own name? (I looked a bit and couldn't find one).
chai2

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:49 am
@ebrown p,
Well, you know ebrown, since she's in the public eye, if interviewers, co-workers weren't pronouncing her name the way she wanted, she would have corrected them at large a long time ago.

It's not like when an individual in a brief encounter mispronounces a persons name. May not be worth correcting since you won't be seeing that person again.

To be in the entertainment industry, where your name is said to the public on a regular basis, you would have corrected this mistake already.
Since everyone, in every interview, both American and British, and someone she works with every day pronounces it Cotey, and she has never corrected anyone about it, I'd say that's how she wants her name pronounced.

Of course there's the one chance in a billion that she has just never mentioned to the multitude of people that have heard her name pronounced Cotey, that the pronunciation is incorrect, and she just lives with the pain.

Yeah, that's it.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:04 am
@chai2,
I doubt she cares that much. I thought the question is the correct way to pronounce it. I bet her family still says it correctly.

BTW-- one advantage to having a foreign name is that (assuming you teach your friends) it makes it really easy to weed out telemarketers.
engineer

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:53 am
@ebrown p,
My dad weeds out telemarketers by listing his name in the phone book using his first and middle names, but excluding his last name. This is like having an unlisted number but allowing those who know you to look you up. When telemarketers call for Mr. Middle, he knows who they are.
chai2

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:19 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I doubt she cares that much. I thought the question is the correct way to pronounce it. I bet her family still says it correctly.

I'd say she would care very much.

Her job keeps her in the public eye, she's an actress, and a well known one on a very popular show.

How could you possibly think an actor doesn't care if their name is pronounced correctly? Tell that to Demi Moore.

Sure the way it's said may very well have changed from the way her family says it.
My birth name pronunciation changed back on Ellis Island in the 1920's. It changed from 2 syllables to 3, and changed from a word that actually had a meaning, a type of bird, to one that just a collection of sounds. No one in my grandparents country of birth would even connect the 2. However, if you asked me how I said that name, I'd say it the way I was raised, and I certainly wouldn't be incorrect.

The origianl question was how was her name pronounced, and where is lives now it is said Coty, and that is what she answers to.
Francis

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:29 am
Chai wrote:
The origianl question was how was her name pronounced,

The thing is, Coté is just a nickname as her real name is Maria José..
roger

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:35 am
@Francis,
Same question. How are you going to pronounce José?
Francis

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:37 am
@roger,
Ok, Roger, I give up...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:45 am
Thanks all...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 11:50 am
@chai2,
Quote:

The origianl question was how was her name pronounced, and where is lives now it is said Coty, and that is what she answers to.

You are reading a lot into that one video. The fact that her gringo co-star calls her "Coty" doesn't mean much. The interesting question is how she says her name. But, no one has come up with the video for this.

Many people I know will answer to the Americanized version of their name but are still called with the correct pronunciation by people who know better. I politely correct people who mangle my name.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 12:01 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Same question. How are you going to pronounce José?

It certainly isn't pronounced Joe-see.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 12:27 pm
I think she's ok both pronunciations seeing as how she interacts with Spanish, and non-Spanish speakers.

It would be like a person named David interacting with both Spanish and non-Spanish speakers accepting both pronunciations of his name.