fizz

fansy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:31 pm
Quote:
The recusants of Germany and France were dismissed as "Old Europe"; the gung-ho nations of the east, fizzing with post-Soviet pro-Americanism, were admired as the new.

What does 'fizzing" mean here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 738 • Replies: 7
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:41 pm
acting with great excitement, activity, and energy, not necessarily thinking much about what you're doing beforehand
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:44 pm
Like a shaken can of coke fizzing up and bubbling over with excitement.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 11:08 pm
the perfect simile, ceili.
islandgirl

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 11:12 pm
Quick qusetion for you. Considering that you are talking about Germany and France, my heritage has always been somewhat questionable. My family resided in Alsace Lorraine that has changed borders with Germany and France. I consider myself 100 percent Alsation, but when asked what nationality, how should I answer. I was born in the states to an imigrant father, what am I?
Ceili

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:09 am
@islandgirl,
According to the atlas, and the world court... Alsace is in France. So, I guess that would make your father from France. He may be of German ethnicity though. Does he speak German, French, Alsatian, all or none of the above.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:11 am
@MontereyJack,
Thanks Monty.
islandgirl

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:30 am
@Ceili,
Thanks for the reply, but if you look closely at certian dates the borders have changed at different times. Unfortunately, my father was rounded up to be one part of the Hitler Youth at the age of 14. No Choice to him, the first chance that he could defect came 2 years later. He is now tenured at Cocncordia University and speaks 5 languages My point still stands, is is the time of birth that the nation rein's. or in my case, who owned the country when?
0 Replies