Having A Beer With Big Brother

jjorge

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:44 am
I just came across this article on our disappearing privacy. Does this sort of thing trouble you (as it does me) or are you unperturbed?

How would you like to drink a beer with Big Brother? Starting some time within the next six months, some patrons in the Vancouver area in Canada will be doing just that.

Last week, 35 bars and nightclubs belonging to an organization called Barwatch voted to make mandatory the use of a computerized network to track detailed information about their patrons. Customers will be forced to allow their pictures to be taken and combined with personally identifiable information before being allowed inside. It even will allow participating businesses to access criminal records.

This information will be shared among every other business tied into the system, as well as with law enforcement. It is also possible that the information could be sold to market research companies.

For the whole article go to:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/1003/14.php
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 877 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:49 am
Shocked I would completely avoid those bars. I agree with the fact that the idea is noble, but it will most likely garner more junk advertising than catching underage drinkers, or criminals. These bars are killing their own business.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:38 am
I'm with cav on this.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 12:49 pm
My Gawd, jjorge. As I have said before:
First it was mandatory seat belts; then NO SMOKING; all just a foot in the door and then more and more.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 03:29 am
You'll never see me in a place like that.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 12:59 pm
Nor me.

I do wonder sometimes however about the attitude Americans have towards their own personal privacy.
Many people are voiciferous about the intrusion into their lives of the authorities and assorted anonymous organisations and then they go and put every personal detail about themselves on a website which is accessable by 50% of the planetary population.
Not to mention the webcam in the fridge or in the bathroom that's switched on 24 hours a day.
Or the tracking systems used in supermarkets that tell you what you've forotten to buy this week.

Hmmmmm, methinks that privacy isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be.
It sounds more to me like a personal space issue than a privacy concern.
0 Replies