Gay = homosexual?

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:24 am

Context:
Sturgis also is gay and feels more comfortable in boys' clothes, her mother says. So Rodriguez supported her daughter's decision to wear a tuxedo, rather than the drape customary for girls, when she had her senior portrait made in July. Now she is battling officials at Wesson Attendance Center in the Copiah County (Miss.) School District. Rodriguez said she received a letter from the school in August stating that only boys could wear tuxedos and have since refused to include the photo in the school yearbook.

More click:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-18-yearbook-photo-lesbian_N.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 624 • Replies: 7
No top replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:28 am
@oristarA,
Yes, the word "gay" is commonly used to mean "homosexual".

I have no idea why.
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:30 am
@oristarA,
Yes, gay - as in homosexual.

My favorite line in the piece is: Ms. Rodgriguez says:
'She's not a troublemaker - she is gay'
Laughing Laughing Laughing (I chuckled for about two minutes at that).....she should have that embroidered on her tux lapel for her senior picture....- heck I almost wish I were gay so I could use it for my signature.
oristarA

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:39 am
@George,
Why not say "she is a lesbian" since she is a girl? Is lesbian a disparaging term?
Francis

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:41 am
@George,
I have a pretty good idea:

"a poet could not but be gay, in such a jocund company".

(Gay guys are gay).
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 09:43 am
@oristarA,
No, lesbian is not a disparaging term (in my opinion - but I have nothing against lesbians). I guess some people who didn't like lesbians could say it with venom so it sounds disparaging.

I think the woman was just speaking very generally and colloquially and so she used gay - which tends to be the all-inclusive casual term for homosexuality.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:03 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Yes, gay - as in homosexual.

My favorite line in the piece is: Ms. Rodgriguez says:
'She's not a troublemaker - she is gay'
Laughing Laughing Laughing (I chuckled for about two minutes at that).....she should have that embroidered on her tux lapel for her senior picture....- heck I almost wish I were gay so I could use it for my signature.

My favorite line from the movie "Tropic Thunder"...

"Everybody's gay sometimes."

It certainly does take the pressure off having to be non-gay all the time
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:09 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Why not say "she is a lesbian" since she is a girl? Is lesbian a disparaging term?

If it's a newspaper or magazine article, then the editor maybe worried about the literal length of the article. Gay being the shorter of the two words, though I guess not as accurate as lesbian just might be one factor in keeping the article from creeping over into another column.

And no, lesbian is not a disparaging term.
0 Replies