juvenile justice

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:44 am
Five Florida teens have been arrested for setting a classmate on fire in Broward County, Florida.

Police believe on Monday afternoon at an apartment complex in Deerfield Beach, 15-year-old Michael Brewer was doused with rubbing alcohol and set on fire by five of his classmates. Brewer received burns to over 80% of his body.

Reportedly Brewer had not repaid another boy $40 he borrowed to buy a video game, so the youth tried to steal a bicycle belonging to Brewer's father. Brewer supposedly reported the teen to the authorities and the youth was arrested Sunday and released from juvenile detention Monday morning.

That afternoon, Brewer was confronted by the five teens with the accused organizer of the attack calling him a "snitch", then urging his friends to douse Brewer with the flammable liquid.

The youth accused is charged with attempted second-degree murder for being the one to set Brewer on fire with a lighter. The other four are charged with aggravated battery.

A relative said this morning that Brewer is "doing pretty good" though he is "still serious."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 719 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:14 am
@dyslexia,
Good grief.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:23 am
@dyslexia,
I guess I've gotten jaded.

There is nothing new, or shocking, or particularly surprising in any of this for me. The kid is lucky he only got burned and will, from what I've read about it, recover from his ordeal. The kids I dealt with on a daily basis for a dozen years in juvenile detention centers in Boston would likely kill for $40, not just hurt. If you've never been out 'on the street' you can't possibly believe what a jungle urban youth grow up in. And maybe it's not just urban. The school shootings we read about seem to take place mostly in suburbs or rural settings.

The only people who can be truly shocked by this sort of thing, I think, are those who really believe that 'Leave it to Beaver' and 'Father Knows Best' reflect some form of reality.
0 Replies