Taking a trip

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:59 pm
I'll be taking a trip alone to Massachusetts within the next few months and since it's such a long trip (almost 700 miles) I'm a little nervous about it. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can settle my nerves a bit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,126 • Replies: 32
No top replies

petunia555555

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:01 pm
Montana, what makes you apprehensive about the trip, is it driving all that distance alone, being alone, not knowing where to stay, etc?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:03 pm
I think it's because most of the trip consists of driving through very long stretches of very secluded areas. Most of my trip will be through the boonies. I've made the trip once alone and I was nervous the whole way.
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:07 pm
Is there another route you can take. Will you be driving in the daytime? I like to take books on tape or CD to listen to. I love taking trips like that alone, enjoy the scenery, etc. Keep the doors locked and smile a lot. When are you taking this trip, is the weather an issue for you?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:11 pm
Montana,

Get a cell phone & a roadside emergency kit Also let people know your itinerary and call someone at regular intervals to update them on your location.

Have a good trip.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
All the other routes are even more secluded. I'm a night person, so the last time I made the trip it was at night which might explain why I was so nervous. I was the only one on the road, lol. I am going to do my best to change my sleeping habits by the time I leave since doing the trip during the day would make me much more comfortable. I love the scenery as as well, so it shouldn't be too bad. This trip is also not a pleasure trip, so I will have lots running through my mind during the trip as well. I am concerned about the weather as well since it will be that time of year. I have all my favorite music tapes in my car, so that's always nice.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
Have your car trip checked by a reliable mechanic before you leave. Take a cell phone with you, and purchase one of those long distance calling cards for $20 from a grocery store for use in areas that the cell phone doesn't work (or to use in place of the cell phone if you can't afford one).

Stock up on your favorite music, driving munchies and a cooler full of beverages, extra motor oil and water for the radiator. Take a set of flares, battery jumper cables. A warm blanket and pillow will make napping in your car more comfy. If you're afraid you'll have trouble staying awake, take a thermos of coffee or tea along and refill it as needed.

Go to AAA to get detailed maps of the route you'll be taking. Also go to Mapquest.com and print out the maps and route directions.

I love making long distance driving trips alone and those are just some of the things I do to make it a more pleasant trip for myself.

Oh, another thing...don't be afraid of truckers, especially while driving at night. If you get a chance, strike up a conversation with some at a truck stop/gas station along the way and ask if they'd mind if you tailed them for part of the route for company. In my experience, most love having the company and will go out of their way to keep an eye out for you. Return the favor by running interference for them when they have to navigate turns, changing lanes, etc.

Another thing you might check into, see if a neighbor or relative has some free time and wouldn't mind keeping you company on the trip. They might even volunteer to split some of the expenses if you're lucky. There's some great shopping and sightseeing in Boston that you might be able to entice them with.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:18 pm
Swimpy
I do have a cell phone, but I will need to call my provider to make sure it works for international use. I completly forgot about a roadside emergency kit. I will leave a map with my mother explaining my route.

Great info you guys, thanks a bunch :-)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:19 pm
Heck, if I lived anywhere near you, I'd volunteer to drive you the whole way! For compensation, I'd make you visit all my relatives in Boston with me! Wink
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:20 pm
Yes, Montana, driving at night out in the boonies can be a little nerve wracking...do as Swimpy says and get a cell phone and do all you can to take care of yourself. Do not focus on what you have ahead of you in Mass. but focus instead on the trip itself and your music...have a great trip...let us know when you are leaving so we can send good thoughts out for you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:24 pm
BBB
Wow! What awesome information. Thanks very much. My son would like to take the trip with me and I did tell him I'd think about it, but since I will have so much on my mind, I might not be good company for him at all. Also, I'll be staying with a friend who has a cat and a dog and my son is allergic to both. I really don't know anyone around here who would want to take the trip with me either.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:27 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Heck, if I lived anywhere near you, I'd volunteer to drive you the whole way! For compensation, I'd make you visit all my relatives in Boston with me! Wink

LOL, I'm sure you would. The thing is that I hate the city and I think you dragging me around Boston would send my nerves running, hahaha!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:28 pm
petunia555555 wrote:
Yes, Montana, driving at night out in the boonies can be a little nerve wracking...do as Swimpy says and get a cell phone and do all you can to take care of yourself. Do not focus on what you have ahead of you in Mass. but focus instead on the trip itself and your music...have a great trip...let us know when you are leaving so we can send good thoughts out for you.

Thank you sooo much Petunia, you're very sweet :-D
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:38 pm
once you get to maine rt 1, 95 or the airline you'll be fine.

you're in fish country Montana. go to the local dock and tell them you want to follow a fish truck heading south to portland, boston, nyc. i'm sure they leave there a few times a day. truckers are pretty good guys, have cb's, know where the cops and speed traps are and will get you there twice as fast.

you got a cb radio?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:39 pm
Ooooo! I know that route! lol Yeah, ummm.. That stretch between Houlton and Bangor isn't something you want to do at night in the middle of winter. Make sure you hit that visitor's center in Houlton before you get on the road there because there really isn't any place to stop for a few hours.

Would it be easier for you to drive down to Nova Scotia and take the ferry over to Portland, ME?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:48 pm
Mikey
I don't have a CB anymore and since fishing season is over in my area, I wouldn't even know where to find someone. That's ok though, I'll be ok.

Fishin
Yeah, and it's almost as bad on the 3 hour stretch of RT 2 on my end. I've made the trip several times in my life, but only once alone about 3 years ago. I know where and when to gas up to get ready for those long stretchs of nothing, so I'm all set there. Unfortunately it wouldn't be easier at all to go to Nova Scotia. I don't think I'm going to take that trip at night again, so I'm sure it'll be much less scary during the day. Thanks Fishin ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:26 am
"Almost 700 miles" is a lot of miles--daunting.

Mapquest is good. I also like: http://www.randmcnally.com/

When you print your route maps, figure in rest stops every 70 miles or so--perhaps a bit further. The way I figure, 10 rest stops is a much more comfortable unit than 700 miles.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:50 am
Montana- I would not do it all in one shot- I've done 600 miles..........but 700 is a lot. If you are a night person, and can take a two day trip, then you don't have to start early in the morning, which might be more comfortable for you.

I agree about the cell phone, phone card and emergency kit. Is there a Sam's Club or Costco where you live? They sell phone cards much cheaper than in other stores.

Also, bring along some munchies and even things you can eat as a meal, if you can't find a decent restaurant in the "boonies" I find that those little cans of tuna that comes with crackers are very handy.

Just think about the music, the sights that you will see, and the exhiliration of being out on the open road........and the trip will be over before you know it!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:54 am
I know what you mean about being nervous, Montana. That's a long way to travel. Maybe you could check the route and find some places to stop, museums or restaurants or viewpoints. Some little "mileposts" that would break the trip up and make it seem less daunting.

Are you sure you don't want to take your son?

The cell phone, the food & drink, the CD's, the car checked out... these are very good suggestions. Also make sure you've got comfy clothes.

Sheesh, now we're going to be worried about you.

Is it 700 miles round trip... or do you have to do the 700 miles back as well?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Montana- I would not do it all in one shot- I've done 600 miles..........but 700 is a lot. If you are a night person, and can take a two day trip, then you don't have to start early in the morning, which might be more comfortable for you.

I agree about the cell phone, phone card and emergency kit. Is there a Sam's Club or Costco where you live? They sell phone cards much cheaper than in other stores.

Also, bring along some munchies and even things you can eat as a meal, if you can't find a decent restaurant in the "boonies" I find that those little cans of tuna that comes with crackers are very handy.

Just think about the music, the sights that you will see, and the exhiliration of being out on the open road........and the trip will be over before you know it!

I would love to turn it into a 2 day trip, but unfortunately I can barely afford to make the trip as it is, so that's not an option :-( I'll have my munchies and the little cans of tuna and crackers is a great idea. Thanks Phoenix.
0 Replies