is it ok to put a potatoe on my stye to help it go away

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:17 pm
my friend has a stye and i was wondering if she can put a potatoe on her eye to help it go away any faster
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 20,003 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:23 pm
How did you come to wonder if a potato would be ok? You shouldn't ever put things in your eye without direction from a doctor - or at least only if it is something designed to go into an eye, like saline drops.
djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:28 pm
lots of stuff on the net about it

Conditions Treated: Eyes
Specific Conditions Treated: Eye Stye
Ingredients Used: Potato

Description: Eye Stye is the infection and inflammation of the sebaceous glands of the eyelids. The bacteria responsible for it is Staphylococcus aureus. Eye Stye is also known as Hordeolum. The sebaceous glands secrete sebum (oil) to lubricate the eyelashes. Infection in the eyelashes leads to blockage of the sebaceous glands so the oil accumulates in the eyelids in the form of a red bump. This red bump is very painful and leads to difficulty in the blinking of the eyes. Treating with Potato poultice will reduce the swelling of the stye. Potato is also known as Solanum tuberosum.

Directions For Use: Prepare some Potato poultice by grating it. Apply this potato poultice directly to the Eye Stye.

Not To Use With: As such there is no interaction. Hence Potato is beneficial for the treatment of Eye Stye.

Side Effects: No side effect is reported as such. Hence Potato is beneficial for the treatment of Eye Stye.

Expected Results: The stye is resolved in 2 days. Hence Potato is beneficial for the treatment of Eye Stye.

Expected Results Within: 2 days
dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:29 pm
@littlek,
I knew this guy that put a potato in his ear, potato vines grew out of his nose. He was the talk of of the office.
roger

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:10 pm
@dyslexia,
Yeah, but when you're ailing, style goes out the window.

And out the nose, as you observe.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:47 pm
@djjd62,
A) Is your name Dan Quayle? (just from your spelling)

B) Rub a gold ring on the sty (notice there's no E at the end) and it will go away as soon as it would if you had rubbed a potato (notice there's no E at the end) on it

C) However, if you have no gold, I recommend you use a Red Russet potato as it works faster than a Yukon Gold, just follow D below but double the time and try to stay on your left foot.

D) Rub for 15 min in the a.m., then do a little pirhouette while saying the Sty Chant, then lie down for 10 minutes. If you don't know the Sty Chant, I will send it to you for $25.00 US.

E) Repeat D) above, in the evening, followed by a hot bath with comfrey leaves. If you don't have comfrey leaves, you're screwed.

Your sty should be gone in 15 days.
JTT

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:35 pm
@Mame,
Re: djjd62 (Post 3785621)
Quote:
A) Is your name Dan Quayle? (just from your spelling)

djjd62 didn't spell it like Quayle, Mame, leastwise as far as I can see. Tried that cure on a friend. It never worked.
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:01 am
@Mame,
A) cut and paste from the intertubes,

plus according to dictionary.com

sty"noun, plural sties. Ophthalmology.
a circumscribed abscess caused by bacterial infection of the glands on the edge of the eyelid; hordeolum.
Also, stye.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:46 am
@JTT,
no, not dj, sweetpeas. Potato doesn't have an e on the end - wasn't it Quayle who got it wrong?
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:47 am
@Mame,
sorry, the @ thing strikes again
sstainba

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:08 pm
@sweetpeas2006,
a potato will not help despite what the internet says. the best way to get rid of the sty (and it will still not be "quick") is to put a warm (as warm as you can stand) washcloth against the area several times a day. the heat will kill the bacteria and it should heal after a few days.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 07:05 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah, I think I was guilty of that first (the @ thing) - how confusing for all of us ...
0 Replies