sunshine boy

Adverb

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:23 am
Can I use "sunshine boy" to describe a boy who has positive attitudes toward life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,053 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:27 am
Sure . . . i would just say that you want to be careful that it doesn't sound sarcastic. It would be an acceptable term to describe someone with a positive attitude.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 04:42 am
@Adverb,
I suppose so, but you may want to reflect on the fact that "The Sunshine Boy" is a documentary film about a mother and her autistic son, and that many hearers/readers of your phrase may therefore get a different meaning from the one you intend.

In any case, even ignoring the above, the phrase "sunshine boy" suggests -- to me -- a child or male adult in a perpetual state of optimistic bliss, a kind of male Pollyanna, who is possibly somewhat "special" in some way. Eg Down's Syndrome, autism, etc.

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:41 am
"John is a sunshine boy" makes no sense.

"John has a sunny attitude" is better.
contrex

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:57 am
@sullyfish6,
Quote:
"John is a sunshine boy" makes no sense.

It is perfectly good colloquial English. It suggests a boy whose demeanour always reminds one of sunshine, that is, a cheerful happy boy.
0 Replies

RealEyes

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:59 am
It may be significant to note that calling a male "sunshine" can have a homosexual connotation.
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:17 am
@RealEyes,
horsie poop
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:29 am
@RealEyes,
That's interesting, sunshine.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:34 am
I would have no idea what would be meant by "sunshine boy" if I heard it, so I disagree with the majority here. It could mean he likes being outside in the sun, for all that matters. To me, it's an obscure phrase.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:38 am
@contrex,
I agree with those saying that "sunshine boy" would have somewhat negative conotations like that of a "male Pollyanna." I wouldn't use this particular expression.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:34 am
In my city, back in the day.. A local paper used to have a daily 'sunshine boy and girl" in the paper. Akin to the pinup girl in the London Sun.
0 Replies

beaniefanatic13

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 08:51 am
Well I don't believe that sunshine boy would be the correct word to use and here is why: the definition of a sunshine boy by the urban dictionary is "The kind of all singing-all dancing guy who appears to be loving, caring and seems to be nothing but perfect, ends up stealing your girlfriend just so he could **** her. They stay together for how ever long sunshine-boy can stay perfect. Which isnt usually very long." So this wouldn't be a possitive description of someone.
0 Replies