What does Popwrap mean?

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:53 am
Does Popwrap refer to anything about celebs?

Context:
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/did_kids_incorporated_cause_fergie_dQ33g9mweZaEaYCJYOEzUO
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 475 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 02:56 am
I had never heard of this until i saw your thread. Judging by what i saw, this is simply a rubric created by the New York Post for it's series of brief articles about celebrities. To wrap means to cover something with something else, as, for example, to wrap fish in old newspaper, which was once how fish purchased in a fresh fish market was wrapped for those who had just purchased it. That lead to the expression "to wrap up," meaning to finish something, since wrapping up your purchases was the last thing a vendor did for your in the transaction. It has come to mean also a series of brief stories which cover a particular topic--so a "news wrap up" would tell all the major stories of the day in a few short descriptions.

I suspect the Post is using it here to mean a series of short articles about "Pop Stars," which is to say musical celebrities who perform popular ("pop") music. They call it "Pop Wrap" to indicate that it is a "wrap-up," a series of short articles about pop music celebrities. That's just a guess on my part--once again, i'd never run across this until you posted this thread.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 05:38 am

I bet pop wrap is that plastic wrapping sheet you can get which is full of little air bubbles which you can pop with your fingers.

(if you're childish, like me)
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:01 am
@McTag,
I think all of us love that, it's just a matter of whether or not people are willing to admit it. But that is called bubble wrap.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:13 am
"Popwrap" is the title of the blog; I suggest it may be a double meaning / pun / play on words: pop = popular music & culture, rap = US slang term for (a) talk, discourse, discussion (b) a genre of primitive "music" with spoken accompaniment. Thus Pop(w)rap. Popwrap is a form of cheap manufactured packaging; thus ephemeral and disposable, like the blog which contains "packaged" (gathered together, edited, summarised) gossip about (ephemeral and disposable and manufactured) celebrities of "pop culture".

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:29 am
Treat part of my above post with caution; I can find no references on the Web to "popwrap" other than to the NY Post blog. So maybe the remarks about what is actually called "Bubble Wrap" may be off the mark. Anyway the bubbles in that product are actually not designed to be "popped" (burst). This is an activity which takes place after the protected goods are unpacked. Maybe the "Popwrap" title refers to the blog's possible function of bursting the bubbles of hype surrounding pop celebrities?

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:29 am
@McTag,
Yeah, I am childish like you, because that manner can always keep us you ang energetic. Smile

Thanks to Set, who always gives me excellent opinions.
oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:30 am
@contrex,
Wow, Contrex also has joined us.
Thank you Contrex.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:35 am
The term "wrap," is also used as a noun meaning that something has been completed, and i believe that at least initially, it was used exclusively in the entertainment and the broadcast news industries, when someone would say "That's a wrap," meaning that the piece being filmed had been completed. As i have also already pointed out, wrap-up is used to describe brief news items with an omnibus character. Therefore, i continue to believe that the Post has created this neologism to describe a "wrap-up" of popular culture news items, and hence, "popwrap."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:36 am
Of course, an obvious thing to do would be to fire off an email to the Post, saying in so many words: "Popwrap . . . WTF ? ! ? ! ?" Maybe someone there would be willing to enlighten you.
sullyfish6

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:48 am
IMO- it's a combination of the expresion "Pop Culture" and a film expression "it's a wrap" (accepted version)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:34 am
@oristarA,
Oops! What a misspelling!
Keep us young and energetic, of course.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:35 am
@Setanta,
Good idea. I'll try it.
0 Replies