Army: 13 U.S. Troops Committed Suicide in Iraq

fealola

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:39 pm
Army: 13 U.S. Troops Committed Suicide in Iraq

At least 13 U.S. troops have committed suicide in Iraq, representing more than 10 percent of American noncombat deaths there, the Army revealed Thursday.

More:
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/default.jsp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,021 • Replies: 18
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:15 pm
I've been hearing about this. Very sad news.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:16 pm
Why, those cowards, don't they realize the glory involved in fighting for Big Corporations? Rolling Eyes
I give the far right until tomorrow morning before similar accusations of "cowardice" are brought up,and tearful remaniscences of George C. Scott in "Patton" are listed!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:47 pm
I can't even comment. I posted so people know.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:48 pm
Below this article is a link to casualties.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 04:01 am
It's all so sad :-(
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:49 am
hobitbob
There is a time and place for everything. I think your flippant comments are out of place.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:07 pm
COULDN'T FIND . . .
fealola - I couldn't find the article via the link you posted. Apologies, but maybe this one will work?

Army Concerned About Suicides . . .
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:21 pm
Sorry, that link has breaking news, but yours is the same article. I'll have to keep that in mind when I post breaking stories. Thanks!
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:21 pm
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING THIS TO OUR ATTENTION.
Thank you, fealola, for bringing this to our attention. We've wondered about the troops going back to Iraq now from R and R. The return cannot be with joy. How sad this entire situation is. We feel so helpless to do anything about anything. We lost one of our own brightest in another "conflict" and are affected by this one mightily. It can't be over quickly enough and everyone home again![/color]
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:27 pm
You might find this thread interesting too.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13777&highlight=

I fear the legacy for the veterans of this conflict could be on the par of Vietnam Vets. Maybe worse.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:28 pm
THANKS, FEALOLA, FOR THE LINKS!
Thanks, fealola, for the links. I did read through all of the posts. While I was doing so, I had a "crazy idea": What if G.W., Rumsfeld, Powell, and their cronies were the only ones to go into battle against the other "heads of the enemy"? Each side could take whatever armaments, missiles, planes, etc., they wanted. Rumsfeld was a Navy pilot and G.W. thinks he's a "hot dawg." Not sure what Powell's forte was. Head General . . . they'd think of something. Just wishful dreaming. A bit of an escape while it lasted. Exclamation
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:58 pm
It is a sad story, but this time it does need to be considered in context.

The below is from when it came up earlier in the US/UN/Iraq thread. The gist of it: the soldiers in Iraq are apparently actually less likely to commit suicide then their peers at home Shocked .

nimh wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
And in answer to those who claim morale in Iraq is just spiffy, I would submit this:

"Army Concerned About Suicides of U.S. Troops in Iraq
By Will Dunham"

Sorry, but that article doesnt actually make your case very well, hobitbob, sad though the story is. Consider:

1. "At least 13 U.S. troops have committed suicide in Iraq", and
2. There are "130,000 U.S. troops in Iraq".

-> 13 in 130,000 is exactly 1 in 10,000 - or, extrapolated to an annual rate (since this is about seven months) - 17 in 100,000. Whereas:

3. "The Army and Navy annually average about 11 suicides per 100,000 personnel, the Air Force about 9.5 per 100,000 and the Marines about 12.6 per 100,000."

Ergo, sent out into the Iraqi desert to face imminent, but scattershot danger and harsh conditions, soldiers apparently are still less than twice as likely to commit suicide as when they're just serving 'regular' time.

Furthermore - and thats really sad, come to think of it - the soldiers in Iraq are apparently actually less likely to commit suicide then their peers at home. The suicide rate among 20-24 year-old men in the US is about 20 per 100,000 (source).
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 08:01 pm
Thank you nihm. I thought of that too after reading the article again. I wonder what the rate is for civilians in the same age group. Tomorrow, if I have time I'll try to find out.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 08:04 pm
fealola wrote:
Thank you nihm. I thought of that too after reading the article again. I wonder what the rate is for civilians in the same age group. Tomorrow, if I have time I'll try to find out.

Ehm - its up there, in my post!

The 13 troops who have committed suicide in Iraq thus far amount to an annual suicide rate of 17 per 100,000;

The suicide rate among 20-24 year-old men in the US is about 20 per 100,000 (see the source I linked in).
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 09:14 pm
Ah yes. Sorry and thank you. It's a shocking subject and I jumped to conclusions. But still something to ponder.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 09:30 am
As usual nimh comes up with the facts and figures. I had wondered about that but to lazy to chase it down. Thanks.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
's just that i'm too bloody anal ;-)
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:17 am
Nah, I was asleep at the wheel. (Was literally falling asleep!)
0 Replies