Is the "d" in "and" omitted in pronounce?

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:31 am

Context:
It is all your fault, you and the likes of you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 726 • Replies: 10
No top replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:39 am
the d should always be pronounced in the word "and"
oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:51 am
@chai2,
But when "and" is closely followed by "the", it seems to get a little tongue tied.
oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:53 am
So when reading "you and the likes of you", we pause after reading "and", and then we pronnouce "the likes of you"?
contrex

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:37 am
@oristarA,
Non-native speakers often experience pronunciation problems while learning another language because of the need to move lips, teeth, tongue in unfamilar ways. I am English and I can say "and the" without problems.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:43 am
@oristarA,
well, you're right, but it's can be a subtle sound.

In America, when people are just speaking casually, a lot of times the d sound is dropped, but it's not something you would do if you wanted to be clearly understood, or were trying to convey a definate meaning.

It's kinda (as opposed to "kind of" Smile ) a familiar way of speaking.

If someone asked you "what's for supper" you might reply "chicken n' dumplings" or "steak 'n potatoes"

Just in the same way I might say to a friend "he was runnin' down the street", as opposed to "he was running down the street", it's just a letter that gets dropped when you're not paying attention, and the meaning would still be clear.

On top of all that, there are so many different accents in America, what might sound like a letter being dropped to one person is heard perfectly by another.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:46 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Non-native speakers often experience pronunciation problems while learning another language because of the need to move lips, teeth, tongue in unfamilar ways. I am English and I can say "and the" without problems.

agreeing with that.

similar to how spanish speaking people will pronounce a "v" as though it were a "b"
However, I've asked spanish speakers about that, and to them, it sounds the same.
oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:54 am
@contrex,
I guess that when you read "and the", you sound "d" very lightly so that you can deftly change to "the"?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:55 am
@chai2,
Thanks
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 08:32 am
@chai2,
Quote:
spanish speaking people will pronounce a "v" as though it were a "b"

I would rather say "Spanish speakers pronounce a 'v' in a way that sounds to anglophones the way they are used to pronouncing a 'b'".

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 10:54 am
@contrex,
oh yeah, I got it bass ackwards.
0 Replies