Does the sentence work?

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:15 pm
We’ve learned a lot at Able2Know, in which members from around the world would discuss anything in a multi-angle, full-range manner.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 9
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:37 pm
My preference would be, "We learn a lot at Able2Know, where members around the world can discuss wide ranging viewpoints on every topic posted."

I know I changed the last part drastically, but I'm not sure if an English speaker would say multi-angle and full range manner. However, I live in the mid-Atlantic region and perhaps other regions in the country find those words to be normal usage. Anybody else want to weigh in???

We’ve learned a lot at Able2Know, in which members from around the world would discuss anything in a multi-angle, full-range manner.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:49 pm
Thanks.
Let's wait and see.
"Live in the mid-Atlantic region"? Would you mind telling whether English is your native language?
contrex

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 12:26 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
"Live in the mid-Atlantic region"? Would you mind telling whether English is your native language?

It sounds a bit watery doesn't it? However you need not worry, glitterbag is in no danger of drowning, because:

Quote:
The Mid-Atlantic States (also called Middle Atlantic States or simply the Mid Atlantic) form a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region often includes Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., and sometimes Virginia and West Virginia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_States

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/US_map_Mid-Atlantic_region.png/300px-US_map_Mid-Atlantic_region.png
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 01:56 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Would you mind telling whether English is your native language?

Why are you asking glitterbag whether English is her native language?
Francis

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 02:09 pm
@ehBeth,
It was a sound question for a non-native English speaker or for someone lacking a specific geographic knowledge.

Frankly, without that precise knowledge, as Contrex pointed out, the mid-Atlantic region only means in the middle of the Atlantic.

Say, then Glitterbag could live in the Azores islands, thus speaking Portuguese...
engineer

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 02:12 pm
@oristarA,
I think your original sentence is fine, as is the proposed change.
oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:38 pm
@contrex,
That adds to the knowledge tank of mine.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:39 pm
@Francis,
You've hit the point!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:39 pm
@engineer,
Thanks
0 Replies