Numbers cannot be put in the first place

contrex

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:29 pm
@High Seas,
MontereyJack wrote:
The title is "101 Dalmatians".

The title of what?

The Hundred and One Dalmatians, or the Great Dog Robbery is a 1956 children's novel by Dodie Smith.

One Hundred and One Dalmatians
is a 1961 animated feature film.

101 Dalmatians
is a 1996 live-action film.

I note that "and" starts with a small 'a'...

engineer

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:35 pm
@contrex,
I went trolling through the web and found that both usages are apparently acceptable. I think our original poster should be able to use whatever he is most comfortable with without the grammar police gunning him down in the street.
contrex

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 06:32 am
@engineer,
Both usages are perfectly acceptable; with this proviso: omitting the "and" is an overwhelmingly US English convention; including it is a British English one. This is not a trivial matter. ESOL and EFL learners are often interested to know that such-and-such a usage or spelling is more acceptable in British English and less so in American English (or vice versa). This has nothing whatsoever to do with "grammar police"*, and I wonder what relevance** such a concept has in a thread where a person is enquiring about acceptable usage.

* a phrase often whined by those caught out in errors or whose confusion is exposed.

** NONE whatsoever.
0 Replies