Article or no article

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:11 am
Should "launch an jehad" be "launch jehad"?

Context:
In the past few days, Afghan members of Al Qaeda attacked, through an episode of video, China for the ethical and religious suppression that China imposes upon Islam in Xinjiang. They announced that China is the enemy of Islamic world, threatening that they will launch an jehad against China
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 341 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:13 am
@oristarA,
You can use either, but if you choose to use an article, you need to write "launch a jehad". With very few exceptions, we use "an" when the next word starts with a vowel, and "a" when the next word starts with a consonant. 'J' is a consonant.

You may wish to note that there is a similar rule which applies to the definite article "the", but only in spoken English, namely that it is pronounced "thuh" when the following word starts with a consonant, but "thee" when the following word starts with a vowel.

Note my corrections / suggestions:

In the past few days, Afghan members of Al Qaeda attacked China in a video for the ethnic and religious suppression that the latter country imposes upon Islam in Xinjiang. They announced that China is the enemy of the Islamic world, threatening that they will launch a jehad against China.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:25 am
It's apparently spelled both "jehad" and "jihad". In the Sates, I think I've seen "jihad" pretty much exclusively. I may be wrong here.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:27 am
Well, I googled them, and got 9,690,000 hits for "jihad" versus 898,000 for "jehad".
contrex

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:28 am
@MontereyJack,
many dictionaries say "Jihad also jehad"
0 Replies