Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:12 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

engineer wrote:

Hamas has come out as critical of the award, so we must all now support it. You are either with the Nobel committee or with the terrorists.

Edit: Taliban critical as well.

That's potentially silly of the Taliban, were Obama a pettier man....as I undstand it he is busy separating the Taliban off from "the enemy" and moving towards accepting them as a part of Afghani culture, which no war will change.

It that is so, then he is hopelessly naive. The Taliban do not represent the entire Afghan people, and in fact only represent the Pathans (or Pushtuns, if one prefers) and don't even have the support of all of them, either. Engaging with the Taliban, for the purpose of coopting their power is a good idea. Seeing them as a part of Afghan culture is a really stupid idea, because it lends to them a legitimacy which they have never possessed.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:12 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Just thinking about the potential of THE GREATEST COLBERT REPORT EPISODE EVER to come from this single event. Colbert will get so much cannon fodder over the weekend from the right wing pundits that ... just thinking about the comedic potential ... should I worry about my own head exploding?! Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:14 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

if I understand Walter correctly I very much support Walter in that the Nobel Committee does whatever it does.

Well, I maybe a nobody here at able2know but I support you dyslexia in that you can say whatever you want to say. Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:39 am
Quote:
Two key White House aides were both convinced they were being punked when they heard the news, reported ABC News' George Stephanopoulos.

"It's not April 1, is it?" one said.

Upon being called by ABC News at 5:45 ET this morning, a White House aide said, "This better be good."

When told by ABC News that the president had won the Nobel Peace Prize, the aide replied: "Oh, that is good."

Smile

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize/story?id=8788973
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:51 am
@sozobe,
Ronald Krebs, as quoted by Sozobe wrote:
The prize ... is not only for past achievement. ... The committee also takes the possible positive effects of its choices into account

That is interesting, and kind of is the reason I held my nose and said nothing when Al Gore received it. But whatever you think about the correlation between climate control and world peace, Al Gore had decades of climate control advocacy under his belt when he got the prize. Obama has ... what?

"not only for past achievement" (emphasis added) doesn't mean "not for past achievement". This price is awarded for "possible positive effects" alone. Is there a precedent for this? I couldn't think of any.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Here's his acceptance speech:

Quote:
Well, this is not how I expected to wake up this morning.

After I received the news, Malia walked in and said, "Daddy, you won the Nobel Peace Prize, and it is Bo's birthday."

And then Sasha added, "Plus, we have a three-day weekend coming up."

So it's -- it's good to have kids to keep things in perspective.

Yup, Nobel Peace Prize and a three-day weekend.

The Nobel Peace Prize has definitely been shown its value.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:59 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Furthermore, in the three most subjective areas where the Nobel committees award prizes -- peace, economics, and literature -- the committees have shown little reluctance in awarding the prizes based not on how things are but on how the committee members think they ought to be.

I don't really think economics belongs on that list. But I'll change my mind if they really do give this year's price to Fama, who appears to be the bookmakers' favorite right now.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:01 am
@wandeljw,
President Obama at Rose Garden press conference this morning:
"I will accept this award as a call to action " a call for all nations to confront the challenges of the 21st century."

Obama _ I think - said he did not deserve the Prize. He could have said No.
He will accept this award as a call to action for all nations. Obama got the Prize not all nations. He has to confront the challenges not all nations.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:09 am
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

The actual voting is never known (but rumors run around, specially in lit).

Totally premature. Yes.

Someone worried about the possibility of affecting the credibility of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Does anyone remember that Henry Kissinger -of all people- won the Nobel Peace Prize?
(And worse, Dario Fo won in literature sometime in the 90s, I digress)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:11 am
@fbaezer,
Quote:
Does anyone remember that Henry Kissinger -of all people- won the Nobel Peace Prize?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:21 am
@saab,
I think admitting that he doesn't deserve the award, but accepting it as a commitment to confront the challenges of the 21st century was a nice balance. I really don't think he should have thrown it in their faces, nor do I think he should have patted himself on the back.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:32 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I can't wait to hear the backlash that this decision will create.

Can Obama decline the award? That may be the most prudent option for him right now.

This fits right into the 'messiah' meme that has haunted Obama for a while now.

No one gives any serious regard to the "messiah meme" (except the far-right blogosphere).
dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:35 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I can't wait to hear the backlash that this decision will create.

Can Obama decline the award? That may be the most prudent option for him right now.

This fits right into the 'messiah' meme that has haunted Obama for a while now.
I take it you are a follower of Foxfyre and Okie. so it goes.
JPB

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:37 am
@wandeljw,
I brought saab's post to another site. Here's a post from an Australian poster at a different forum.

Quote:
As an international man in the street I didn't see it as the US receiving a special privilege, I read the news and applauded that this award was bestowed, on behalf of all nations, to a man who is living proof of what changes and attitudinal shifts can be brought about in my lifetime. I don't agree that the recipient needs to have done something tangible to be eligible for the award; to be inspired and to hope for a better future and to have a belief that change is possible is a powerful tool in bringing about peace. World peace seems such an unreachable goal, but so was an African American becoming President of the United States (regardless of what party he belongs to) and as such it gives me hope that maybe we are able to live in a more peaceful world. The man and the award can be debated and analysed to the nth degree but at the end of the day it's attitude and not deeds that will bring about peace and to that end, for me, he is a worthy recipient.

Peace. Yes we can, can.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:52 am
@dyslexia,
Teh messiah meme didn't start with the right. I had the same complaints during the primaries. The right may have kept them up the last few months, but that feeling is held by many in the center as well.

Obama has been all talk, and now he's even won an award for all his talking.

Superbowl rings for everybody!
Every team will win the world series.

Accomplishments mean nothing!!!
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:16 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
This price is awarded for "possible positive effects" alone. Is there a precedent for this? I couldn't think of any.

I can. Woodrow Wilson. Why was he given the prize, the fourteen points? Where and when were the fourteen points ever implemented? He was so pigheaded stubborn, that he torpedoed his own chance to get the Senate to ratify the peace treaty.

I find this a quixotic award, but giving Mr. Obama the award seems no stranger to me than giving it to Mr. Wilson.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:16 pm
@maporsche,
Why are you so unpatriotic that you don't like when an US-President gets awarded with the highest peace prize?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:17 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
This price is awarded for "possible positive effects" alone. Is there a precedent for this? I couldn't think of any.

Brandt. And the prize had without doubt a lot of effects.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Why are you so unpatriotic that you don't like when an US-President gets awarded with the highest peace prize?

I doubt patriotism has anything to do with it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:20 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I doubt patriotism has anything to do with it.

Well, we've a different understanding of patriotism, it seems.

When Brandt got the Nobel Piece Prize, in a very similar situation as today, even the opposition was proud, not loud, but clearly showed some patriotic pride.
0 Replies