Especially coming the day after this:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article23671.htm

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Isn't a recipient supposed to have taken extraordinary, specific actions which resulted in the cessation of war?

No. Neither in the Swedish text nor in the Norwigian (which is appropriate here) nor in the English or any other translation.

From where did YOU get this info?

From the logical idea that a peace prize is supposed to recognize actions is furtherance of peace.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:06 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

From the logical idea that a peace prize is supposed to recognize actions is furtherance of peace.

Brandon, you might not know that, but this the Nobel Peace Prize, which is awarded by the (Norwegian) Nobel Prize Committee since 1901, according to Nobel's guidelines from 1895.

The first winners were Henri Dunant and Frédéric Passy ...
engineer

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:13 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Several seeing it as a snub to Bush and not really for Obama.

I think Bush is up to three Nobel Peace prizes now. The Carter (worthy), Gore and Obama (less so) prizes all seem to serve no other purpose than to make a point that Europe didn't like Bush. Obama seems to have won the award for no other reason than reversing Bush's more outlandish policies.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
From the announcement

Quote:
[...]
For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

Oslo, October 9, 2009
engineer

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I could see this as encouragement for Obama to continue on the path of engagement that he has taken so far, but there is going to be a domestic backlash and I think the award's prestige is going to take a hit both in the US and Europe.
maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:21 am
What had obama done as of February 1st, when the nominations were submitted? Merely 11 days after he was inaugurated?

This is insane!!!
ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:41 am
@maporsche,
I agree. I heard this on NPR this morning and started laughing.

This is ridiculous-- I am curious to hear what Obama has to say in the matter.

It does, however, provide an answer the question that everyone has been asking about what Obama has accomplished so far.
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:44 am
@lmur,
That was the Republican Party after the death of Franklin Roosevelt.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:45 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

It does, however, provide an answer the question that everyone has been asking about what Obama has accomplished so far.

Really? That's what the Nobel Peace Prize is about? I'd thought, they more going along the guidelines in Nobel's will ... "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'd thought, they more going along the guidelines in Nobel's will ... "

Jesus Walter . . . what were you thinking when you wrote this . . . don't you know it's all about Americans?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:52 am
A question... the fact that he was nominated after only 11 days in office has come up, but when was the actual decision made? It was announced today, but when was the decision re: the winner made?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:53 am
@engineer,
Ridiculous. Premature. Any belief I had in the committee *poof*
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And you think that Obama HAS done the "most or best work"? Out of anyone in the world. And after only 11 days of being president?
ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, the sentence you responded to was meant as a joke.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:57 am
@Setanta,
Thank you. In that case, perhaps a Nobel Prize for Irony is in order.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:58 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I think the award's prestige is going to take a hit both in the US and Europe.

the rumblings in this office this morning are really quite amazing. People are emailing and calling other people about it. There is a fair bit of laughter in the "stupid" "crazy" rumbles.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:59 am
I can't wait to hear the backlash that this decision will create.

Can Obama decline the award? That may be the most prudent option for him right now.

This fits right into the 'messiah' meme that has haunted Obama for a while now.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:59 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

And you think that Obama HAS done the "most or best work"? Out of anyone in the world. And after only 11 days of being president?

Well, I'm no member of nor do I have any chance of becoming a member of the Norwegian Nobel Committee.
So it doesn't matter in this case what I think or don't think.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:00 am
I'm beginning to think there might be some politics involved. That would be a first and surely set a bad precedent.