Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

engineer

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:38 am
@Setanta,
Now if I support the Nobel Committee, I am against terrorists and an anti-Semite at the same time?!!?
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:45 am
@engineer,
You got it . . . the best of both worlds ! ! !
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:50 am
Barak Obama's nomination itself was way premature.... and anyways Nobel Peace Prize's credibility has been under question since the time M.K.Gandhi was denied a Nobel Peace Prize due to his involvement in Indian Independence.

So a freedom fighter who never used violence against his enemy is not a candidate for Nobel Prize but a President of an influential war-making country who is not even 1 year old in his presidency is.

Huh!

P.S. Plz check how incredible Ramon Magsaysay Award committee is by looking at list of their awardees.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:03 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
7. Wonder what Andrew Sullivan thinks? (Checks, nothing yet.)

I'm the "reader" here. Hee.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/10/peace-prize-reax-i.html#more
dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:05 am
@sozobe,
the RNC is really pissed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:07 am
@maporsche,
I like this one too:

TigerHawk wrote:
“YO OBAMA, I’M GONNA LET YOU FINISH, BUT I JUST WANNA SAY THAT MARTIN LUTHER KING JR WAS THE BEST NOBEL PRIZE WINNER OF ALL TIME.”

http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2009/10/two-reasons-to-be-happy.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:16 am
I'd just like to say that it is good that Obama won such a prestigious award and that I hope, going forward, he actually earns it.
sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:20 am
Watching the thing -- he doesn't really think he deserves it but he understands that the Nobel committee sometimes gives the prize as a "means to give momentum to a set of causes." Good.
0 Replies

panzade

@McGentrix,
awww...that's sweet McG.
My, how you've mellowed.
0 Replies

JPB

Does anyone know when the final voting took place? The nomination deadline was Feb 1, but when did they vote?
sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:24 am
@JPB,
Yeah, I asked that too... haven't been able to find an answer yet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:26 am
@saab,
Oh, I'd missed this... saab says the decision was made two days ago.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:27 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

saab wrote:

Several seeing it as a snub to Bush and not really for Obama.

I think Bush is up to three Nobel Peace prizes now. The Carter (worthy), Gore and Obama (less so) prizes all seem to serve no other purpose than to make a point that Europe didn't like Bush. Obama seems to have won the award for no other reason than reversing Bush's more outlandish policies.

Which is a good start...but not enough.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:28 am
I must admit, that my first reaction upon reading about this (ten minutes ago) was a grin, a devious one, at the conniption fits the right-wing will be having over the issue.

Once again, they will find themselves in a negative position; in knocking Obama, the prize, and the concept of his diplomatic idea all at the same time. It's satisfying in the short-term and damaging in the long-term.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:28 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I'm beginning to think there might be some politics involved. That would be a first and surely set a bad precedent.

No!!!

Shocked Shocked
dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:30 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Raising the troop level in Afghanistan might be teensy bit more difficult after being awarded the Peace prize methinks....

Au contraire.

There can be no peace without war.

The more war you create, the more peace you can claim to have created later.

0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:31 am
The actual voting is never known (but rumors run around, specially in lit).

Totally premature. Yes.

Someone worried about the possibility of affecting the credibility of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Does anyone remember that Henry Kissinger -of all people- won the Nobel Peace Prize?
(And worse, Dario Fo won in literature sometime in the 90s, I digress)
JPB

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:31 am
@saab,
thanks saab,

I hope you don't mind but I swiped your post and copied it to another site where a poster claimed it was an "affirmative action" award, which REALLY pissed me off.
nimh

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:32 am
Late to the party (and obviously didnt read all the pages of comments), but what an utterly weird decision.

First off, it's outrageously premature. Give the man some time to actually do something first - what are his diplomatic feats so far? It basically comes down to giving the man an award for being elected, and for being who he is - his mere election led to a sigh of relief around the world, but that doesn't make him worthy of a Nobel Prize yet ... jeez, let's wait and see what he'll actually succeed in doing, no?

On a tangent, there is not a President, no matter how much enthusiasm and idealism he brought to the office and was elected with, who can not make a major mistake. Awarding him now already throws all caution to the wind: who knows what he might still majorly **** up in the four or, hopefully, eight years of his administration, that would make this award look like a folly in hindsight? LBJ looked very good in the beginning too, but then Vietnam grew way over his head.

Finally, for years conservatives have derided the Nobel Peace Prize as a purely political, partisan thing ... and we'd have to argue that, no, in fact, there was a solid logic behind it that did actually reward real achievements in brokering greater peace in the world. This decision in one stroke seems to make the conservatives right after all.

What were they thinking?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:33 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Hamas has come out as critical of the award, so we must all now support it. You are either with the Nobel committee or with the terrorists.

Edit: Taliban critical as well.

That's potentially silly of the Taliban, were Obama a pettier man....as I undstand it he is busy separating the Taliban off from "the enemy" and moving towards accepting them as a part of Afghani culture, which no war will change.