Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:49 am
Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Quote:

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.

Jagland [chairman of the Nobel committee] said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease.

He rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union.

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:52 am
@panzade,
I'm only guessing but it seems to me Obama will split the difference and up the troops in afghanistan by 20,ooo.
saab

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:56 am
@sozobe,
The decision was made two days ago and annoced today.
There were 205 nominees.
Following were favourites
Sima Samar Dr. Sima Samar, OC is the Chairperson of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) and, since 2005, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Sudan.

Morgan Tsvangiri is the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe. He is the President of the Movement for Democratic Change - Tsvangirai (MDC-T) and a key figure in the opposition to President Robert Mugabe. Tsvangirai was sworn in as the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe on 11 February 2009.

Hu Jia Is an activist and dissident in the People's Republic of China. His work has focused on the Chinese democracy movement, Chinese environmentalist movement, and HIV/AIDS in the People's Republic of China.
panzade

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:57 am
@dyslexia,
that's the power of a Nobel, huh buddy?

I can see that
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:59 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I really don't get this at all.. but I'm grateful for the comedic value attached to it and will enjoy the outrage, hand wringing, whining, crying, self righteous indignation and general pants wetting hissy the right will have over this.

You forgot "laughing" ...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:00 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
This thread has 55 replies already! I want to join everyone in expressing happiness on the honor given to our president.

... I can't tell if you're serious or not, wandeljw.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:02 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I could see this as encouragement for Obama to continue on the path of engagement that he has taken so far, but there is going to be a domestic backlash and I think the award's prestige is going to take a hit both in the US and Europe.

That's it exactly. Obama didn't receive the prize for who he is or what he has done, but for who he isn't and what he hasn't done: he isn't Bush and he hasn't followed GWB's policy of unilateralism. The prize announcement was the sound of a global sigh of relief that Obama hasn't turned into another one of "those Americans."

Furthermore, in the three most subjective areas where the Nobel committees award prizes -- peace, economics, and literature -- the committees have shown little reluctance in awarding the prizes based not on how things are but on how the committee members think they ought to be. Think of Obama's prize, therefore, as something akin to the Nobel Prize for Perfect Attendance. Sure, he hasn't done much of anything yet, but the Nobel committee wants him to keep showing up.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:03 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

wandeljw wrote:
This thread has 55 replies already! I want to join everyone in expressing happiness on the honor given to our president.

... I can't tell if you're serious or not, wandeljw.

Nothing I say is serious.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:06 am
@Ticomaya,
Hamas has come out as critical of the award, so we must all now support it. You are either with the Nobel committee or with the terrorists.

Edit: Taliban critical as well.
maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:11 am
Someone wrote somewhere that Obama winning the award for peace is like awarding the Nobel Prize for Physics to Gene Roddenberry.

I thought that was funny.
panzade

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:12 am
@engineer,
I'm sure Hamas feels the prize rightfully belongs to them.

http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/07.05.14.HamasKinder-X.gif

Hamas militants have enlisted the iconic Mickey Mouse to broadcast their message of Islamic dominion and armed resistance to their most impressionable audience -- little kids.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:16 am
@joefromchicago,
If that's true, then it's like dyslexia said and the award should go to the American people.

Obama held those views before he became president (as do millions of Americans). What apparently made these views Nobel Peach Prize worthy was the fact that Obama was elected; which was due to the people who agreed with him and shares his views.

Obama doesn't deserve this award (yet).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:26 am
@lmur,
Hehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:29 am
@wandeljw,
I'm just going to assume that was intended as ironic humor.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:29 am
Obama is giving a speech about it at 11am. someone watch and report please.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:30 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
It will be used against him by the right (and possibly, effectively; it does support their claims that Obama is mainly a celebrity, and gifted speaker, which they'll follow with "and not much more")

As compared to Bush, who wasn't even a competent, never mind a gifted speaker?
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:32 am
@engineer,
The Israelis, too, Boss. I heard radio interviews this morning, and Jews as well as Palestinians were basically saying: "Oh yeah? What the Hell for ? ! ? ! ?"
maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:32 am
@Setanta,
He won't be compared to Bush; he will be compared to whomever they choose to run against him in 2012.
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:34 am
@maporsche,
Given that no one knows who that is, any contention to the effect that Obama is just a celebrity and a gifted public speaker simply throws into stark relief the incompetence as a public speaker of his predecessor in the office.
maporsche

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:36 am
@Setanta,
To some maybe; however for what reason I'm not sure. It serves no purpose.

I'm not interested in recalling the presidency of GWB in any way; not even for comparison.
0 Replies