Is the collocation acceptable?

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 05:21 am
appetite --- revived
stomach --- rebounded

Context:
To facilitate them, he generously pays more beds. Benshan Zhao's appetite has also got revived: many delicious, palatable foods have been annihilated by his rebounded stomach: mitten crabs, shredded pancakes, swellfish soup and other mouthwatering dishes.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,324 • Replies: 15
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:08 am
@oristarA,
I dont unerstand that in the least. Im missing something of the contextual nature of this clip?
oristarA

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 09:26 am
@farmerman,
You've always confused me.
I just hope you be quiet and never answer me in the first place.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 09:30 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

You've always confused me.
I just hope you be quiet and never answer me in the first place.

How rude!

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 09:31 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

appetite --- revived
stomach --- rebounded

Context:
To facilitate them, he generously pays more beds. Benshan Zhao's appetite has also got revived: many delicious, palatable foods have been annihilated by his rebounded stomach: mitten crabs, shredded pancakes, swellfish soup and other mouthwatering dishes.

You have it backwards; It's more correct to say Rebounded appetite and revived stomach.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 09:34 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

appetite --- revived
stomach --- rebounded

Context:

This is not good English.

1. What do you mean by "pays more beds?"
2. Instead of "got revived," try using "been revived," or, at least, "gotten revived."
3. Your use of "rebounded" is very awkward. Perhaps you could try "re-awakened appetite" instead of "rebounded stomach."
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 10:45 am
@oristarA,
Context:
To facilitate them, he generously pays for??more beds.

Benshan Zhao's appetite has also [1. got] revived: many delicious, palatable foods have been annihilated by his 2. rebounded stomach: mitten crabs, shredded pancakes, swellfish soup and other mouthwatering dishes.

1. We normally view an appetite as something that revives itself, Ori, so there's no need for a passive.

2. 'rebounded' used as an adjective definitely works but it's not all that common a collocation.

Results 1 - 6 of 6 English pages for "rebounded stomach".

One hit is "rebounded. Stomach ... "

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 10:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Not necessarily rude, Cy.

Simply being a native speaker doesn't qualify one to be an ESL/ELL teacher.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 10:58 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Not necessarily rude, Cy.

Simply being a native speaker doesn't qualify one to be an ESL/ELL teacher.

Don't give a **** about that. All I know is that I won't put up with people trashing my buddy FM, one of the more sensible and helpful people on A2K, without good reason.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:08 am
@Cycloptichorn,
FM is a reasonable fella and a funny fella but that doesn't mean that you should jump to, possibly, unreasonable and unwarranted conclusions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:12 am
@oristarA,
You could learn a lot about how English is used if you worked more at understanding Farmerman's responses.

That you are confused by his responses suggests that while your textbook English is improving, your ability to use the language still has quite a distance to go.

It's certainly not easy. English is not my mother tongue, and learning to really "hear" the language takes a lot of effort. Pushing away information because it's too difficult to understand is not helpful. Ask Farmerman more questions - work at understanding his responses. You will learn more about English that way than you will be reading/translating out-of-date texts.
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:37 am
@ehBeth,
Fantastic response, ehBeth, and excellent advice.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:28 pm
@Brandon9000,
Thanks.
But you've used "appetite" in the short paragraph. That is why I used "stomach" and matched it with "rebounded", which is obvious a failure according to your opinion.

=============================
The bed refers to "hospital bed", Benshan Zhao had to pay RMB 1400 yuan for one bed, and 2800 yuan for two beds. That is the price the hospital where he got hospitalized gives.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:29 pm
@JTT,
Thank you, JTT.
But where to find a proper adjective to collocate the word stomach?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Sorry for making you think that my attitude toward FM was rude.
But be frank, FM is just useful in other forums, not in this. I'd see him around the other forums, not here. Smile
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks.
Would you mind telling me what FM referred to?
0 Replies