Can someone edit my 250 word essay for an internship?

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:08 pm
Now we are going to ask you to include a one-page Statement of Interest that describes your objectives and motivation in seeking an internship. As bureau representatives use this statement in making their selections, you should use the statement to explain how your academic courses and other personal experiences relate to the bureau(s) or office(s) to which you are applying. Please use this opportunity to tell us about any specific disadvantages you may have overcome.

International relations have always played a role in my life.

As a high school student I took advantage of Spanish classes during the day so that at work I could talk with the Mexican dishwashers about last night’s soccer game. Unsatisfied with just speaking Spanish, I set on a course to get in touch with my roots by learning Norwegian. However, unlike Spanish, it was a little harder to speak and hear Norwegian in my area, but thanks to the internet I was able to meet natives and correspond with them.

A short time later at the age of 19, I was called on a volunteer service mission for my church and lived overseas in Romania for 2 years. During this time, I was placed in various parts of the country and developed a fluency in the Romanian language after much hard work and determination. There’s something unquenchable about learning a new language. Immersed in a foreign culture interacting with the people, it was the most rewarding experience of my life and continues to shape me.

After being home for a few months, I’ve taken and excelled in several courses of Political Science, European History, and Geography to satisfy my interest in all things international. These classes will instill basic theory and provide a base for my career in a foreign field but nothing will equip me better with real world hands on experience than an internship with the State Department.

As an intern, I would contribute my research skills that I’ve cultivated through success as a student.

I'm struggling on what to say for the beginning and ending.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,579 • Replies: 2
No top replies

stran1ae

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:07 pm
@brokencdplayer,
You haven't included the "specific disadvantages you may have overcome" thus far in the essay. Its seems to me they are want some display of how you will handle a difficult situation. So if you haven't had any obvious disadvantages ie. monetary hardship or physical disability, perhaps elaborate on your challenges in being forced to learn a new language in Romania in order to function in everyday life. Highlight any specific strategies you may have used.

Good luck!
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:14 am
DOES YOUR STATEMENT ANSWER THIS ASSIGNMENT?
"use the statement to explain how your academic courses and other personal experiences relate to the bureau(s) or office(s) to which you are applying."
0 Replies