Has the word "retinue" been used properly here?

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 11:48 pm
Or please edit the sentence below:

Context:

Friendly, cordial ambience, like the pleasant wind of springtime, is surrounding the meeting held by both China’s premier and his NKorean counterpart with their retinue. Not to mention the excellent performance that the amiable-looking Kim Jung Il played when he greeted Wen Jiabao at the airport on Wen’s arriving.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,297 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 01:10 am
@oristarA,
The warm greeting by Kim Jung Il to Wen Jiabao on his arrival at the airport was an expression of the friendly, cordial ambience which, like the pleasant wind of springtime, surrounds the meeting between China’s premier and his North Korean counterpart.

Replace "held by both" with "between".

"NKorean" is an ugly abbreviation more suited to either a headline or personal note.

The fact that the leaders are accompanied by their retinues (plural) is usually understood and need not be mentioned.

Second sentence rewritten, moved and joined to the first. (It is considered by some to be bad grammar to start a sentence with an adverb such as "not")

To say that Kim Jung Il's greeting was a "performance" implies that he was using the skills of an actor and therefore being insincere and/or merely following protocol. What are you trying to say about his greeting?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:07 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Or please edit the sentence below:

Context:

Friendly, cordial ambience, like the pleasant wind of springtime, is surrounding the meeting held by both China’s premier and his NKorean counterpart with their retinue. Not to mention the excellent performance that the amiable-looking Kim Jung Il played when he greeted Wen Jiabao at the airport on Wen’s arriving.
I suggest fully writing out "North Korean."
If each had his own retinue, then it shoud be retinues, in the plural, for 2 retinues.

I suggest saying "surrounds" or "surrounded" instead of "is surrounding"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:15 am
@oristarA,

I suggest:

Friendly, cordial ambience, like the pleasant wind of springtime,
surrounded the meeting held by both China’s premier and his
North Korean counterpart with their retinues, not to mention
the excellent performance that the amiable-looking Kim Jung Il played
when he greeted Wen Jiabao at the airport on Wen’s arriving.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:14 am
I think "pervaded" is better than "surrounding". "Atmosphere" might be better than "ambience". "Cordial" looks un-necessary. I would begin with "A". I would drop "like a pleasant wind of springtime". "Is" is present tense whilst "held" is past tense. One looks foolish saying " Not to mention" and going on to mention it.

A friendly atmosphere of optimism pervaded the meeting between China's premier Wen Jiabao and his North Korean opposite number Kim Jung Clogface II whose greetings at the airport resembled that of a particularly greasy doorman of a brothel welcoming a big spending customer.

oristarA

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:39 am
@contrex,
Thank you.
Thank you all.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:48 am
@contrex,
The complete context:

News Blog --- Celebs In National Day Holidays (2)

By Docofsoul

The Danger of Talking with North Korea

Yes, I’ve used the word “play” here. According to common sense of credit rating, Kim is one of the worst “actors” both diplomatically and economically. For decades China has supported NK with countless money and food and got little return for that. Doubtless China helped NK in the context of humanitarian concerns, and we have no intention asking for return. We definitely, however, cannot tolerate being fooled: In 2005, North Korea promised, in six-nation talks, to abandon both its nukes and programs; instead, it secretly developed nukes and in 2006 and 2009 underwent nuclear tests, thus delivered a major spiritual blow to China, who, as the spark plug of the six-party talk, was humiliated internationally by the NKorean treacherous action. The behavioral pattern of NK, as described by South Korean experts, is much like that of a schizo patient, citing the example that NK released the detained SKorean employee and then several days later, without warning, discharged Imjin dam to kill six innocent SKorean citizens. But technically speaking, Kim is not a psycho, only his behavior is that of a psycho.

So you know what we should do. Dialogues with NK are necessary, making agreements with them is important, but more importantly, we ought to be highly conscious that the danger is there, and then we take preventative steps to practically thwart any possible breach of promise by North Korea, regardless of that Jim Jung Il uses the tactics of a psycho or of a rascal, China will defend the interest of Chinese people and will not be dishonored.

October 5, 2009
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:49 am
@spendius,
Haha, you have come the point. Kim is both a pimp and a prostitute.
0 Replies