Appreciation of English Handwriting

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:41 am

My Chinese handwriting is very good, but I don't know how to appreciate English handwriting. For example: my intuition tells the handwriting in the pic below is crappy, but I cannot be sure whether I have made a proper judgment. Do you think the handwriting in the pic is:
1) Good
2) Crappy
3) bad?

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hqgj/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20090222/000d60689b1d0b0b421941.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,615 • Replies: 10
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 12:52 am
@oristarA,
I like it- everything except the capital G- that looks like a 6. I would call it good - it's easily readable - that's what's most important.

It also conveys a real sense of personality. In a way I'm surprised this is her handwriting (Hillary Clinton's) it's sort of breezy and casual for what I'd picture her having - but in a way it fits.
I have what a lot of people have always described as very 'good' English handwriting. My Dad got me to fill in all the information in our family bible because he thinks mine is very nice and legible - my sisters made me address all the envelopes for our parent's 50th wedding anniversary and my teachers have all always liked it - I'll see if I can figure out how to scan it and post it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:34 am
It's actually pretty good. Handwriting in the West has nowhere near the honored and artistic place that calligraphy has in the East, hasn't had for at least a hundred years. There were periodic efforts to produce a sort of artistic hand thru the 19th century, but they never really took for the large bulk of the population, and for at least the last forty years or so it's been emphasized less and less. Script handwriting now seems to be taught for less than a year, I just read, and most kids print when they write today and use keyboards or thumb keyboards on cellphones far more frequently. Hillary was probably right about the end of the handwriters, when it was getting pretty idiosyncratic, rather than standardized.

Actually looking at it, it's about half script and half print, so she's right at the transition point.

Handwriting in America, at least, is today pretty much mostly utilitarian, and for most people not at all an aesthetic pursuit.
panzade

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:07 am
@MontereyJack,
interesting topic...and a great post
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:11 am

Good/ Crappy/Bad is not a good spread.
panzade

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:17 am
@McTag,
how 'bout?
good
ho hum
bad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:10 am
@oristarA,
It's legible, which in my eyes makes it good.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:41 am
@oristarA,
I think it's very average. Neither bad nor good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:48 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
1) Good
2) Crappy
3) bad?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/crappy

A third choice, between good and bad, would have been helpful.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 06:46 pm
@oristarA,
I think it is interesting handwriting: it reminds me of my own, and may have developed over the years in the same way my own did. As a child, I learned what they called the Palmer Method handwriting, and I did well enough in those classes, getting all A grades. The teacher was probably a bit kind on those grades. In my twenties and thirties, I turned to art as an interest, and as part of that took up calligraphy and sumi-e painting. At the same time, my work life got more and more hectic and there was necessity for writing fast. My field of work changed in that after some years of study I became a designer who did a great deal of hand drafting and lettering, almost always under short deadlines.

At one point, my writing and printing both had two types, depending on the project or part of the project: presentation style, and quick note to a colleague style. My quick note style is what reminds me of Hillary Clinton's writing above - it was a mix of printing and writing letters, and included some elements of artistic flair.

As I age I no longer do any hand drafting and I've settled into my quick-note handwriting style as the only way I print or write. I like it better than my old efforts at calligraphy or Palmer Method script; I like its idiosyncracy, and it is still usually fairly readable.

I have c0llected some postcards from the early 1900's and the english penmanship in those is often exquisitely beautiful. While this is true, I am presently more interested in more individualistic handwriting.

Hillary was a working attorney for quite a few years. I would bet she has written a lot of fast notes. I see some art in her style, and wouldn't not call it crappy.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:44 pm
@ehBeth,
My English-Chinese Dictionary trapped me.
Now use "ho hum" as Pan suggests.
0 Replies