native literature, local literature or country literature?

fansy

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 07:41 am
The article is about a short biography of a contemporary Chinese writer, who focuses on writing stories and novels about the life in the country. A Chinese term is given to this kind of writing, i.e. xiangtu wenxue, literally "countryside soil literature." Various translations are available for this typical Chinese literature term, like native literature, local literature, local-colored literature, and country literature.
Which one do you think makes sense to you while keeping the Chinese idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 767 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 08:45 am
I'd go with country literature. In many contexts, "native" means to an English speaker the cultural artifacts of an aboriginal people as opposed to the cultural artifacts of European invaders and colonizers. Of course, native simply means born in the land to which one refers, but it is often used in English to denote aboriginal inhabitants as opposed to inhabitants descended from colonists.

Local literature could be said of an urban writer as well as of someone from the countryside, or someone writing about the countryside or the city, so that would not convey the sense you want. "Local-colored" literature does not sound like something a native speaker would say, although there is nothing "wrong" about it--it's just awkward.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 09:07 am
I might go with something like "literature of rural life", "literature of life in the country", "stories of traditional Chinese life", "stories of modern Chinese life in the country", etc. (depending of course on which it is he's writing about), rather than an adjective before the noun.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 06:38 pm
@Setanta,
I agree with you. As a matter of fact, "country literature" is my translation, which is an "immitation" of American "country songs."
0 Replies