diaphragms and toxic shock syndrome

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 11:48 am
Okay, here's the info I have on this from the directions on the package, and various websites

"In rare cases, women have developed toxic shock syndrome after leaving a diaphragm or a cervical cap in too long. You should keep a diaphragm in for no more than six hours after sex; don't leave it in longer than 24 hours even if you have sex again.

Okay, so I get that. But what nobody tells you is: How long do you have to keep it out before you can put it back in? Can you just take it out, wash it and put it right back in for up to another 24 hours? Or do you have to leave it out for a certain amount of time?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I know, my girlfriend should just ask her doctor, but in the meantime, I'd like to see if I can get an answer here. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,412 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 12:05 pm
@kickycan,
"cervical cap"

ain't that what the pope wears?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 12:48 pm
I hope not. That thing that he wears looks like it would be real tough to insert.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 01:34 pm
@kickycan,
oooohh... agreed. Shocked

i was thinkin' bout the little red beanie one he only wears with his pope friends and stuff.

you know, when there ain't s'posed to be no pagan photographers snoopin' around his skirt.

(my bad)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 02:20 pm
You have a girlfriend?! Very Happy

Anyway, when I used a diaphram, I'd take it out after the 6 hours, and leave it out for at least a couple of hours. At that, I'd only put it back in if I knew I'd probably be having sex again.

Logistically, that generally meant putting it in during the evening, out in the morning, before going to work. I remember a few times forgeting if I'd taken it out, and having to check. Mentally, I just didn't like the idea of that thing being inside me, squeezing my cervix, any longer than it had to. I kept picturing in my mind the time my brother sucked the opening of a glass to his face, broke all the blood vessels, and having to walk around with this red ring around his face for a week or 2.

but....I digress.

You are aware that having sex doggie style is not recommended, don't you?
The angle can push the diaphram off the cervix.
roger

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 02:37 pm
@chai2,
Just kills the spontaneity, doesn't it?
spendius

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 03:30 pm
@kickycan,
If you read up on it properly kicky I think you would tell your girlfriend to take it out and leave it out and that you were going to take care of the business yourself.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 07:32 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Just kills the spontaneity, doesn't it?

Having broken blood vessels around your mouth?

No, seriously, not that I noticied.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 08:02 pm
@kickycan,
First tampons*, IUDs, now diagphrams. Maybe the female human body isn't exactly amenable to long-residing contraception devices? So, back to condoms, perhaps?

(No, I'm not suggesting tampons are contraceptive devices. Wink )
kickycan

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 12:37 am
Thanks for the info, Chai. Yeah, I have a girlfriend now! And it's coming up on three months and I'm not climbing the walls desperate to get away from her! As Sinatra once said, "She's a groovy broad." By the way, the doggystyle tip is well-received. I did not know that. But heck, until a few weeks ago I didn't know how to insert a plunger into a woman's vagina and shoot it full of spermicide either.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the diaphragm actually, and condoms are definitely still in the mix, but the diaphragm does have some advantages. For instance, once it's in, you're good to go, unencumbered, for almost a full day. Plus, when you're not using it, you can put it on your cat and let him walk around wearing it like a little hat.
roger

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:00 am
@msolga,
Always worked for me.
dadpad

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:02 am
@roger,
Children work best
msolga

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:04 am
@dadpad,
.... as a means of contraception, you mean?

Seems a bit drastic to me!
roger

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:06 am
@msolga,
Yeah, but when they come roaring into the bedroom. . . .

Drastic, but yeah, it works.
msolga

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:07 am
@roger,
There has to be a better way!
roger

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:10 am
@msolga,
You got that right!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 12:17 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

until a few weeks ago I didn't know how to insert a plunger into a woman's vagina and shoot it full of spermicide either.

ah...I see, you're working it into your foreplay. Razz

I'm trying to remember why I decided to use a diaphram. Most likely because I didn't want to be taking oral contraceptives, side effects, blood clots, etc. Also, at that time I was in a monogomous relationship, so I wasn't worried about STD's
For what it's worth, I favored condoms for birth control. No drugs, and I didn't at all think they got in the way, since I'd used them from my first sexual experience. I never had a guy refuse to use them, because I made it clear this wasn't a point of negotiation.
If they refused a condom, then they could just go find someone else.
spendius

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:58 pm
@chai2,
Blimey!!
0 Replies