I hate skools!!! A moaning thread.

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:41 am
@msolga,
Some schools just "get" it.

They put a lot of effort into working as a team.

They call me a lot when things go wrong, and listen and work things through with us when we try to help them to work in ways that help these kids.

They READ the material we give them, or take in the training we give.

They accept that things are slow and full of setbacks.

In the situation I am moaning about, I think the principal and the teacher are quite problematic...and they really just want to get rid of the student.

Apparently it has taken a year and a half to get them to respond to suggestions of meeting together to try to help them with this kid. I have only been involved very recently.

Sometimes I just want to vent and not be professional and polite.

They gobsmacked me so much today I very nearly wasn't, and I let my gobsmackedness show.

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:46 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
In the situation I am moaning about, I think the principal and the teacher are quite problematic...and they really just want to get rid of the student.

Sounds to me like they don't believe they can make much progress with the student. For whatever reason: the student's history, because they haven't the time & feel over-stretched, because they feel out of their depth, because they're disorganized .....
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:56 am
@Gala,
I think I am near doing what some of my colleagues have done in the same circumstances, and say I can be of little help if they will not access the resources I have already given.

So far, when management have forgotten, I have been polite and patient.

The first management team who forgot have been reliable generally, and been prepared to work as a team.

The second one was this same principal who I found gobsmacking today.

He had the temerity to be annoyed today because some people thought we were meeting at 9.00, and the other half of us had 9.30.

This is the man who was supposed to organise a number of things for the last meeting, did not, and wasn't there for the meeting he had arranged himself. The primary principal had to scramble and go and relieve the teacher herself.

This is a "nice" school which doesn't really want these kids, and hasn't had much experience with this degree of trauma and behavioural dramas.

However, they have them....and kids like this aren't going to go away.

Normally, I am patient and understanding and don't get into this sort of silly rage.

This time, I felt like a blithering incompetent idiot when they made their impossible demand, so I am venting and being ridiculous and primitively defensively furious.

Sometimes it just has to come out!!! I'm a frail, grumpy, anxious little human and sometimes I just get overwhelmed and need to squawk!

And the rest of the day was a bloody nightmare as I was on duty and received 10 possible new referrals for my particular service.

And there is only one of me, and I can't handle what I am already doing, but I will have to be involved in working out a reasonable response to these 10 kids

I understand the dynamics and all, and I will behave reasonably again and do my best and try to be to them what I want them to be to the kid.

I won't be able to do what they want, but that is life. A key education department person was missing today, whose job it is to assist with a bunch of the things they were asking of me, so it was especially bad.

And my gobsmackedness didn't help, because it interfered with my thinking.

But sometimes I just need to open the window and scream:

"I'm just not going to take it any more!!!!!!"

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:00 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I think I am near doing what some of my colleagues have done in the same circumstances, and say I can be of little help if they will not access the resources I have already given.

If that's the situation, Deb, then do it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:03 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Sometimes it just has to come out!!! I'm a frail, grumpy, anxious little human and sometimes I just get overwhelmed and need to squawk!

Completely understood. Squawk, m'dear, squawk away.
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:05 am
@msolga,
Hell, I am out of my depth with kids this disturbed. Her prognosis really sucks.

It may not be possible to do anything to help her,

But simply stopping her from hurting people at least some of the time when she has some one on one time every day, including lunch time isn't rocket science.

And we are doing our best to get them more.

We are really trying to help them and relieve the pressure.

We acknowledge it is ridiculous for a teacher on her own to try to manage.

I have offered them way more time than I have to spare...but they just want a quick fix and for me to write a program for them.

I can't do that. I can HELP with it, but I just can't give it with no warning in five minutes.
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:08 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Quote:

Completely understood. Squawk, m'dear, squawk away.

Can I stamp my feet, and get down on the floor and scream and beat my fists too?

Will you give me a hug?

I'm all snotty, I warn you.
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:10 am
@dlowan,
Happy to give you a hug ((Deb)) just don't wipe your nose on my shirt.
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:10 am
@dlowan,
I'll give you a hug.

As long as you don't have swine flu. I can stand regular snot, but beswinflued snot won't do.
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:11 am
@sozobe,
Great minds think alike soz Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

@sozobe,
heh heh...I feel like a swine, but I don't have their flu.

I have scabby knees but.
msolga

@dlowan,
Quote:

I have offered them way more time than I have to spare...but they just want a quick fix and for me to write a program for them.

I can't do that. I can HELP with it, but I just can't give it with no warning in five minutes.

Know what I think, Deb? I think it's their way of saying: "OK then. YOU tell us what to do!" (Meaning we throw our hands up!)

In a way you & the school are in the same pickle - trying to achieve what appears to be too hard. They sound resentful.
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:12 am
@Tai Chi,
So...you got a hanky then?

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:13 am
@dlowan,
OK, then

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((wee bunny)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:16 am
@dlowan,
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Handkerchief.jpg/250px-Handkerchief.jpg

(You can keep it.)
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:19 am
@msolga,
THAT'S what I get sick of.

All round one are people who are resentful because they are overwhelmed and get into kind of primitive "mummy fix it" states, and are enraged when mummy just doesn't have all the answers and kiss it better.

The schools get it from the parents and society.

So do welfare people.

It happens to all of us.

Sometimes I want mummy to fix it.

But sometimes we just get tired of being the mummy to so many people in that overwhelmed state, and absorbing all the rage.

It's my job.

But today, mummy has spat the dummy and the kids can all get fucked.

(Stamps feet and throws toys.)

Anyone got a nice baby bottle full of milk?

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:20 am
@Tai Chi,
Deb, possum, I hate to be a wet blanket & all ... but it's very late, deary. You might be very tired tomorrow. At that school.

But carry on anyway, if you so choose! Smile
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:22 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Deb, possum, I hate to be a wet blanket & all ... but it's very late, deary. You might be very tired tomorrow. At that school.

But carry on anyway, if you so choose! Smile

I don't WANNA go to bed!!!!!

Want a glass of water!!!!!
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:23 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
THAT'S what I get sick of.

All round one are people who are resentful because they are overwhelmed and get into kind of primitive "mummy fix it" states, and are enraged when mummy just doesn't have all the answers and kiss it better.

The schools get it from the parents and society.

So do welfare people.

It happens to all of us.

Yep. I know, I know ...

Do the impossible. It's your job.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:24 am
@dlowan,
http://farfalle1.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/s_glass_of_water1.jpg