When was Easter first celebrated in the U.S.?

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 04:46 am
@Setanta,
So stipulated that Cahokians probably did not celebrate Easter.

You mine a rich vein of knowledge set. I hope this kid appreciates your process of elimination . Ive never used LOL, but might I say LOL.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 05:56 am
To me, the Spanish in Florida is pretty much a no-brainer, but i do have to remind myself that many people know little about the history of their own nations. I first read about the French Protestants in Florida in the first volume of Parkman's seven volume history of the French in North America. But most of this is a matter of the search criterion one uses. I suspect that many people who come here and say they've searched and searched and searched and can't find it either didn't use a sensible search criterion, or--to put it charitably--they are fibbing and really hope someone else will do the work for them.

In a way, the young school kids who come here and just flat post the question which embodies their homework assignment are the most forthright and honest. But then, i have stopped answering that kind of question. I probably would not have answered this one either (i answered one of this joker's posts once and he got all bent out of shape because he didn't like the answer), if it had not been for a half-hearted suggestion that maybe he had given it some thought.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 12:57 pm
@farmerman,
What do you mean when you say a "gay" Christian ("gay Amish?) -- is this an accepted definition, or your own designation?
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:08 pm
@Setanta,
C'mon -- gimme a break!! I'm sure you must have answered one of these history questions correctly, but I can't think of an "answer" of yours that ever truly answered the question. You write a "pot load" of stuff, but never answer the question. It's always "right pew,, wrong church." Your "information" never fits the question. When you are asked the time, you describe how to build a clock. What you are really trying to do is put yourself in the spotlight & show off, even though you don't have a clue as to what the answer is. Then you try to mock the questioner. Your answers are always about YOU.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:12 pm
@saab,
Many thanks for the information. I take it that by "New Sweden" you mean present-day Delaware.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:18 pm
Am I missing something here? I always though that Juan Ponce de Leon named Florida thus in recognition of the verdant landscape and because he first sighted the coast at the Easter season, which the Spaniards called Pascua Florida (Festival of Flowers). Being good Catholics, I am sure they had a service, thus I would place the first North American Easter in 1513 if not earlier. However, as has been noted, the USA did not come into being until 260 years later.

What's with all this 19th century stuff?

Francis

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:28 pm
@contrex,
Those facts are well know, but I thought the question was too vague to give it a try..
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:44 pm
If you consider Puerto Rico part of the United States... Ponce de Leon brought priests with him when he came in 1508, and he built the first church in 1509.
I'd assume then, whenever the date, Easter was celebrated somewhere in this time frame.
Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:51 pm
Yeah, but we didn't steal Puerto Rico until 1898.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:52 pm
@Ceili,
Or even during the second stay of Christopher Columbus on Hispaniola...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:56 pm

Quote:
When was Easter first celebrated in the U.S.?

Eastertime.
Francis

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:20 pm
@McTag,
No. Some contrarians use to play with bunnies anytime they see fit..
0 Replies

CourtneyVickery

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:28 pm
@farmerman,
Guess what, pardner. You and nobody else has "wiped out the Puritans". We are alive and well, thank you, and are living in every little part of Constititutional Christian America. That's because we created it.

You may thank us for this great country you and your ignorant and ungrateful friends have the unearned privilege of living in.

Screw you and the secular horse you rode in on.
0 Replies

roberto3

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:51 am
It is abundantly clear from the myriad responses here, and all over the web, that no one, and I anyone, has a clue as to the true origins of Easter, much less why and when churches in the US began to celebrate it. It appears to be a non event in the history of Christianity, and has been made into something grand rather recently in the history of the church. Kind of like Santa Claus.
0 Replies