Is there a word/term for someone who teaches themself?

Chumly

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:38 am
@farmerman,
You are sooo base 60, I think you have too much time on your hands.

http://www.gap-system.org/~history/HistTopics/Babylonian_numerals.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:42 am
@farmerman,
A number of the words I used go beyond a specific activity, profession, or group and I would not them slang.
Quote:
Jargon is terminology which is especially defined in relationship to a specific activity, profession, or group. In other words, the term most often covers the language used by people who work in a particular area or who have a common interest. Much like slang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jargon

Now the word "mobo" would be computer techy jargon/slang.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:18 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
A number of the words I used go beyond a specific activity, profession, or group and I would not them slang.

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO CONVEY HERE?? That jargon is NOT an accepable and proper term for profession based language? Then youd be wrong.

YOu are getting to sound like a Creationist arguing that something isnt true because you say so. In fact, your own Wiki quote was a clear attempt at cherrypickin quote mining. Why didnt you post the entire clip. You made it sound that jargon was much like slang when what the definition actually said was:

Quote:
Jargon is terminology which is especially defined in relationship to a specific activity, profession, or group. In other words, the term most often covers the language used by people who work in a particular area or who have a common interest. Much like slang, it can develop as a kind of short-hand, to express ideas that are frequently discussed between members of a group, though it can also be developed deliberately using chosen terms

Cheap, shot chumly. You were being just a bit disingenuous werent you?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:26 pm
@brokencdplayer,
brokencdplayer wrote:

I'm almost positive that there is a term for someone who teaches himself something.

Anyone have an idea?
Is there a word/term for someone who teaches themself?
With all respect, Brokencdplayer (I hope u get it fixed),
I have an idea that there is no such word as "themself"

(Note also that "them" is plural and "self" is only singular.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

brokencdplayer wrote:

I'm almost positive that there is a term for someone who teaches himself something.

Anyone have an idea?
"Is there a word/term for someone who teaches themself?"

David
JTT

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:30 pm
@ossobuco,
David is exceedingly stupid, Osso, and he practices it with abandon, when it comes to his uninformed nonsense about language. It has nothing to do with playing with language. The issue is David spreading lies about language.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
"Is there a word/term for someone who teaches themself?"

Quote:

What did I tell you, Osso?

=================
COED
themself
• pronoun third person sing. informal used instead of ‘himself’ or ‘herself’ to refer to a person of unspecified sex.

" USAGE The standard reflexive form corresponding to they and them is themselves, as in they can do it themselves. The singular form themself, first recorded in the 14th century, has re-emerged in recent years to correspond to the singular gender-neutral use of they, as in this is the first step in helping someone to help themself. It is not generally accepted as good English, however.

======================

Pronoun
themself
Reflexive and emphatic form of them when them is used as a non-gender-specific singular pronoun (singular they).

Someone has hurt themself.
Anyone who wants a car like mine can buy one themself.

2009 January 8, Samantha Maiden, “Hoaxer, out yourself: 'Demidenko'”, The Australian:
THE author who masqueraded as Helen Demidenko yesterday urged the hoaxer who deceived the respected right-wing journal Quadrant to unmask themself.

[edit]Synonyms
himself
herself
themselves in some dialects
thonself obsolete
xirself, eirself etc. (see Gender-neutral pronouns)

[edit]Usage notes
While proscribed by many, this word has been in common use for hundreds of years. The issue stems from the use of they as a gender-neutral third-person pronoun, also considered non-standard. More information can be found at the usage notes on that page.

Although many alternatives exist, most of them are considered unacceptable in certain contexts, so care should be taken in deciding which option is likely to be most acceptable for your audience.

Using himself as gender neutral is often considered politically incorrect.
Using herself as gender neutral can sound forcefully politically correct.
Using themselves in its singular meaning is also considered non-standard.
Using some form of alternative syntax (him/herself, him(her)self) can be cumbersome.
Using a constructed word (xirself, eirself etc. " see Gender-neutral pronouns) can sound forcefully politically correct and run the risk of not being understood.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/themself?rdfrom=Themself
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:55 pm
@farmerman,
"Axiomatic" is not "jargon" in the context of your initial post of which my response is based. "Mobo" is "jargon" in the context of your initial post of which my response is based. As discussed "A number of the words I used go beyond a specific activity, profession, or group and I would not them slang."
DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 01:57 pm
@Chumly,
How about "pedantic"?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 02:43 pm
JTT wrote:
The issue is David spreading lies about language.

I'd say not only about language..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 02:54 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

JTT wrote:
The issue is David spreading lies about language.

I'd say not only about language..
Impugning my veracity, Francis ?

David
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 06:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Chumly wrote:

Become a teacher, you'll find out?

I've been teaching full time now of 1.5 years (not long);
I use lots of fun words (and terms) in class. How could I not? Here's some:
covalent structure
Will u perhaps consider the value
of saying to your students: "here ARE some" or "here r some"
instead of "here IS some" or "here's some:" ?

I'm with David on this one. It drives me crazy. You wouldn't accept "We is here" or "They is angry", what makes "Here is some" any different, apart from the fact that nobody cares anymore?

Maybe I should have said "I is with David..."
JTT

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 09:12 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
I'm with David on this one. It drives me crazy. You wouldn't accept "We is here" or "They is angry", what makes "Here is some" any different, apart from the fact that nobody cares anymore?

Maybe I should have said "I is with David..."

Why doesn't "You are Eorl" drive you crazy, Eorl?

'are' is a plural verb but you are a singular entity.

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:22 am
@JTT,

Steady on, JTT, that last bit was wrong.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 05:00 am
@JTT,
You is the ony personal pronoun that is weither singular or plural. Therefore using "You are Eorl" merely recognizes its special condition , "you are people" ,"you are a woman", etc.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:30 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
You is the ony personal pronoun that is either singular or plural. Therefore using "You are Eorl" merely recognizes its special condition , "you are people [plural]" ,"you are a woman", etc.

That we can handle this contradictory condition points us to the conclusion that we can handle those others, FM. Nobody gets their knickers in a twist about 'you are' singular so what's the big deal about the others.
0 Replies

ralphs

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:38 pm
The word is "AUTODIDACTIC" (auto=self; didactic=of teaching)

0 Replies