Noun or Verb?

Chumly

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:45 pm
@JTT,
"bonding" as used by electricians colloquially is the action
"bonded" as used by electricians colloquially is the result
"bonding" as referenced by the Code's strict legal definition is the result

As to manufactured mufti-ganged boxes versus field assembled multi-ganged boxes no bond is usually needed for the former, and a bond is usually needed for the latter, however for the latter that does not necessarily mean a separate bonding conductor.

It also depends on the type of junction boxes used and how they connect to each other mechanically such as EMT tubing or rigid pipe for example.

Most people most of the time think that residential wiring is the net reality for most electricians, I've never even wired a house and would not consider myself an expert in residential wiring, I'm an industrial guy.
JTT

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:48 pm
@Chumly,
Could you give me an example, contextually, of how a person on the jobsite might use these terms?

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:55 pm
That's kind'a weird, my response ended up before yours!

I guess I should clarify that when I say "however for the latter that does not necessarily mean a separate bonding conductor" I'm referring to junction boxes in which there is a mechanical connection the Code considers sufficient to be used as the bond.

Oh and if I understand your question it's not a new thing this bond between parts of a muti-ganged field assembled box.
0 Replies