Come down the pike

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 11:54 pm
spending coming down the pike = decreasing spending ?

Context:
Perot was likely to benefit from rising healthcare concerns in Washington. About half of the company's $2.8bn in revenue comes from supporting health care concerns, and the US federal government has committed $30bn overall to digitise health records. Sweeping healthcare system changes could mean even more work.
“Perot's extremely well positioned, with a lot of hospital groups as customers,” said Jefferies & Co analyst Joseph Vafi. “The spending coming down the pike probably did help Dell get comfortable with the valuation.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 383 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:05 am
see here:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/coming-down-the-pike/

spending coming down the pike means spending that is on it way though the process may not have started yet. It will though, no chance that it will not.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 01:50 am
right. it's spending that's coming, but there's no connotation of increasing or decreasing. A turnpike or pike is a road, usually a fairly major one. When I was a kid, I was told that roads in the 18th and early 19th century were almost always really lousy, muddy, rutted, dirt. Private entrepreneurs would build better quality roads, for which you had to pay a toll. They'd block off the entrance to their roads with a length of timber, a pike, which was often a tree trunk. It could pivot around one end, so you paid the tollkeeper your fee, and he'd turn the pike so you could enter the road, which came to be called a turnpike. Don't know if that etymology is true or not, but I liked the story. High-quality roads where you have to pay a fee to travel fast are still sometimes called turnpikes, and some still have movable bars to keep you from going thru the tollgates without paying. So "coming down the pike" means kind of coming fast and unstoppably.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 02:54 am
Thank you both
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 03:02 am
The expression "to come down the pike" simply means to appear, to be evident, to be in process.
0 Replies