I'll stick up for speaker Pelosi.

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:08 pm
The latest attacks from whiny Republicans again go beyond logic. Here is the "controversial" quote. Take a minute now and read it with an open mind.

Quote:
"I have concerns about some of the language that is being used because I saw - I saw this myself in the late 70's in San Francisco, this kind of - of rhetoric was very frightening and it gave - it created a climate in which we - violence took place. And so I wish that we would all, again, curb our enthusiasm in some of the statements that are made, understanding that - that some of the people - the ears it is falling on are not as balanced as the person making the statement might assume."

What she is saying is plain enough:

1) There is heated political rhetoric that could easily be interpreted as a call to violence.
2) There is a risk that this rhetoric could lead to actual violence.

Now the Right all in tizzie-- part of it is that they are sore because people didn't take kindly when conservative members of congress referred to liberal congress people as "anti-american" (and yes they use that term). Speaker Pelosi never used or even implied this term-- although if you read the conservative knee-jerk reaction you might be confused about this.

Come on... people on the right are screaming about needing to water the tree of liberty with blood and running around with signs that say "we come unarmed this time" (some of them are even coming armed).

A call that we do whatever it takes to keep violence out of our politics should be supported by all sides.

Instead we are treated to another silly tantrum from a conservative movement that has taken a big step toward dangerously nuts.

ebrown p

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:20 pm
Question: The extreme right will dislike any liberal Congressional leader-- but what about moderates? She has a centrist streak that many progressives have been annoyed by. But, it seems to me that moderates should be reasonably happy with her.

Is there any legitimate reason that moderates are upset with her, or is the vitriol only coming from conservatives?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 09:43 pm
Yours was a reasonable launch post ebrown. As was Pelosi's appeal to tone down the kind of rhetoric that could be encouraging demented people toward violent acts.

The guns at rallies - the race-baiting slogans - the intensity of the poison being spewed should alarm sane people, regardless of whether they agree or disagree politically.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:34 pm
I have no problem with her call to tone down the rhetoric.

The problem however, is that she wont lead by example.
She is the one that called those that disagree with Obama nazi's, she is the one that called them dangerous, etc.

If we need to tone down the rhetoric (and I 100% agree that we should), she needs to take her own advice.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:40 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
She is the one that called those that disagree with Obama nazi's,

Except she didn't say that.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/08/05/pelosi_town_hall_protesters_are_carrying_swastikas.html

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi claims protesters are "carrying swastikas and symbols like that to a town meeting on healthcare."

She might be guilty of not verifying something she read on the web, but she didn't call anyone a Nazi.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:41 pm
@DrewDad,
So saying that they are "carrying swastika's" is not calling them nazi's?

Then what is it?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:45 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

So saying that they are "carrying swastika's" is not calling them nazi's?

Then what is it?

My suspicion is that she repeated a rumor she had heard or read.

And no, saying that someone carried a swastika is not the same as saying he or she is a Nazi.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:51 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
And no, saying that someone carried a swastika is not the same as saying he or she is a Nazi.

Right because the conventional wisdom the the swastika has no meaning other than being a symbol of Nazism since about 1942 is all wet.....
mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 11:36 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
My suspicion is that she repeated a rumor she had heard or read.

So the Speaker decides to repeat unfounded rumors as fact??

And you have no problem with this?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 11:50 pm
@mysteryman,
She's just a person, not God. It's not like she sent us to war over it....
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 12:37 am
@hawkeye10,
You are missing the entire point. Protestors were carrying swastika laden signs to town hall or tea party protests. But they were denoting that Obama was the fascist. The woman was correct in her comments about protestors carrying swastikas. It was her opponents who inflated her remark about protestors carrying swastikas on signs as equivalent to calling them Nazis.

Pelosi's political opponents are just playing the victim card. Its pretty childish, but effective since some of you actually believe she was calling protestors Nazis. But then again likely it would be believed by the same folks who thought that George Bush did not lie and Iraq actually did have WMD.

And we know where that trail went.

Quote:
"Reality has a liberal bias."
Stephen Colbert
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:42 am
@mysteryman,
Come On! Mysterman.

Speaker Pelosi is simply pointing out that there are people carrying swastikas at anti-Obama rallies.

This was spray painted on a Democratic Congressman's sign (this Congressman has also received death threats because of his stance on health care).

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:tdItnuV0ffIByM:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PVyDmTkfk6s/SoNeXlGW4HI/AAAAAAAACXM/_yh-dBF5pnE/s400/swastika.jpg

And of course, the swastika was prominently displayed among the millions of people marching on Washington last week.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XimOh2AYlL8/SlKip7mmRVI/AAAAAAAAEAQ/rvfmT2jCshI/s320/HeilBarry.gif

Not only is the use of the swastika prominent in this sign. The tone is also an example of extremism-- saying that Obama is a dire threat to the nation.

0 Replies