Education, Citizenship and Oklahoma. Is this OK?

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:01 am
75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the U.S.

Quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Only one in four Oklahoma public high school students can name the first President of the United States, according to a survey released today.

"They're questions taken from the actual exam that you have to take to become a U.S. citizen," Dutcher said.

About 92 percent of the people who take the citizenship test pass on their first try, according to immigration service data. However, Oklahoma students did not fare as well. Only about 3 percent of the students surveyed would have passed the citizenship test.

Dutcher said this is not just a problem in Oklahoma. He said Arizona had similar results, which left him concerned for the entire country.

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:48 am
Ooo . . . ooo . . . ooo . . . i know that one . . .

Paul Revere
dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:59 am
@Setanta,
everyone knows it was Ronald Reagan.
boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:02 am
Did you ever see The Simpson's episode where Apu takes the citizenship test?

Hilarous!

They ask him what started the Civil War and he goes into an in depth explaination. The examiner interrupts him and says "Just say slavery" to which Apu replies "Slavery it is!"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:17 am
@DrewDad,
Does that mean that everyone in Oklahoma should be deported? Arizona too?

Eggzellent!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:18 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

everyone knows it was Ronald Reagan.

Well, he was the first one that counted, right? Laughing

It used to bother me when stuff like this would come out about Oklahoma. But recently I read a newspaper article where the head of our public school system in Tulsa was quoted as saying 7% of Oklahoma's high school graduates are adequately prepared for college. That shocked me, but then I read that we're only slightly behind the rest of the country. The average is less than 10%.

That certainly made it easier to write out the big check for private school tuition.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:28 am
Don Juan de OƱate Salazar was established as Governor of New Mexico in 1610.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:30 am
Aha! So THAT's why okie has the trouble he does in making coherent and believable points in the political threads.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:31 am
@Eva,
Those numbers are especially alarming when you consider the "graduation rate" (80% in Oregon) and the "drop out rate (4.5% in Oregon). (Don't ask me where the other 13.5% end up).

In only 80% are graduating and only 10% of those are ready for college it's clear we aren't placing much importance on education.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:38 am
I should add that I spent many years wasting away in the Oklahoma public school system and I know for a fact that the first president had wooden teeth, couldn't lie, and chopped down cherry trees. HIs name was Paul Bunyon. DUH!
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 12:56 pm
@boomerang,
No, silly. He was a pioneering planter who tossed apple seeds everywhere he went and wore a coon skin cap.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 01:06 pm
I give up. Who was the first President?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 01:08 pm
@DrewDad,
Ok, I went to the link expecting to find some mitigating circumstances or something to tell me that it's not as bad as it seems. Sadly, I found that 3% is a rounded number -- rounded up. 28 students out of 1000 answered enough questions correctly to pass the test. They did the best on the question "What ocean is on the east coast of the United States", with 61% answering that question correctly. So have ~40% of OK students never seen a globe? I realize they live in a landlocked state and all, but that just seems really severe.
0 Replies