60 senators is magic number?

ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:00 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Not that i would expect you to understand something such as that, because you are to eaten up with your own partisan prejudices.

LOL (I suppose it is easier to understand when your prejudices aren't partisan).

Let's see what happens. I predict that you will see Reconciliation used as a threat. For the reasons Setanta lists, it probably won't take place-- but the fact that it could take place gives the good guys more leverage to get a real bill through.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:45 am
In fact, having been raised a conservative Democrat, i have precious few partisan prejudices, because i tend to see the point each side is trying to make, whether or not i agree. Health care reform needs to be a stand alone project for a variety of reasons. One is that if it is thrust upon an existing agency, it will be a cluster-f*ck administratively, and play into conservative whining about an inefficient, ineffective and bloated bureaucracy. Another is that it would make it that much easier for Republicans to dismantle in the future with the same silly trick, and less political risk for themselves. Yet another is that as a stand alone agency (a cabinet department would be the best--after all, we have this chickenshit Homeland Security, having a department for health care makes a hell of a lot more sense), a health care system can be seen to stand or fall on its own merits, and if it succeeds, even modestly, it will become a sacred cow, like social security, and the Republicans won't dare go after it even when they are in the majority.

Pushing it through with a cheesy, parliamentary manoeuvrer will be a bad idea all around.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:53 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
In fact, having been raised a conservative Democrat, i have precious few partisan prejudices, because i tend to see the point each side is trying to make, whether or not i agree.

LOL
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It is bad enough to confuse Oristar about English, as some members do

You frequently are the First Star in this respect, Setanta.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta, you seem to have a little fan club.

Every post you make gets 2 or three votes, and everyone who disagrees with you gets zeroed.

How sweet.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:32 am
@ebrown p,

POPULAR! you're gonna be popular!
i'll teach you the propper ploys,
when you talk to boys,
little ways to flirt and flounce, ooh!
i'll show you what shoes to wear!
how to fix your hair!
everthing that really counts to be...

POPULAR! i'll help you be popular!
you'll hang with the right cohorts,
you'll be good at sports,
know the slang you've got to know.
so let's start,
'cause you've got an awfully long way to go!

don't be offended by my frank analysis,
think of it as personality dialysis,
now that i've chosen to become a
pal, a sister and advisor,
there's nobody wiser!
not when it comes to...

POPULAR! i know about popular.
and with an assist from me,
to be who you'll be,
instead of dreary who you were...uh, are.
there's nothing that can stop you,
from becoming popular... lar...

la la, la la!
we're gonna make you pop-u-lar!

when i see depressing creatures,
with unprepossessing features,
i remind them on their own behalf
to - think - of
celebrated heads of state,
or specially great communicators!
did they have brains or knowledge?
don't make me laugh!

they were POPULAR!
please! it's all about popular.
it's not about aptitude,
it's the way you're viewed,
so it's very shrewd to be,
very very popular like ME!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:33 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Setanta, you seem to have a little fan club.

Every post you make gets 2 or three votes, and everyone who disagrees with you gets zeroed.

How sweet.

Some people just can't handle the truth.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:08 am
@ebrown p,
It's not something i ever pay any attention to, and i don't happen to vote on posts myself. If it's important to you, though, knock yourself out. I'll go vote for all your posts, and you can experience the warm fuzzies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:11 am
I just voted for all your posts, Brown, and i notice that you have three votes for your last post--so you must have your own fan club. Does that make you all warm and wiggly?

EDIT: Make that four for your last post--i had forgotten to vote for that one.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
@Setanta,
It's nice to know you care Set.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:58 am
Do you mind that I venture to chime in something? Set said "If it's important to you, though, knock yourself out. I'll go vote for all your posts, and you can experience the warm fuzzies. " Does " knock yourself out" mean "try your best (even if you might work too hard and get exhausted)?" And what does "experience the warm fuzzies" mean? Like "experience that of a kitty(kitling)"?
ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 06:20 am
@oristarA,
It is strange isn't it? This political bickering turns out to be great for someone just learning the language.

Both the the idioms in Set's retort are meant to show a dismissive disdain.

I think you got pretty close to the meaning of "knock yourself out" except that I might add that it has a sense of futility. Set intends to suggest that I make futile, meaningless effort.

I think the term "warm fuzzy" actually originated from pop psychology of the 1970's (I think it originated in a book called "I'm OK, you're OK") to refer to a overall feeling of warmth and happiness (yes the image of a kitten is on the right track).

These days the term is almost always used sarcastically.

oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 07:59 am
@ebrown p,
It seems Set said it with sarcasm: Enjoy your small comfort zone and don't go beyond (surely you will get short sighted soon. You useless wimp!)! Smile

Am I on the right track?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 08:53 am
No, you are not. I employed sarcasm and disdain in regard to Brown's pointless focus on how many people vote for any particular post. And that was all my remarks referred to.
oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:23 pm
@Setanta,
Aye, aye, sir, "I'm OK, you're OK", and of course you and Brown are okay and even in the debate - both experience the warm fuzzies. No hyperbole has been used here; I know your worship loves no holiday speeches.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:08 pm
@oristarA,
Actually Setanta seems to have misread my mindset when I posted. I made the observation not because I care, but because I thought it was funny and because it amuses me to take a little job at some anonymous person.

I remember that in in the original pop psychology movement (which I was exposed to in my youth) the opposite of a "warm fuzzy" was a "cold prickly", a term that seems somehow appropriate in this context.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 04:34 am
You're like a little boy on the playground, Brown . . . you can't seem to avoid attempting to get in one more jab. Pathetic, really . . .
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 04:58 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Should "is" be "are"?

No. 60 is a ("magic", i.e. significant) number. The headline specifically says so.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:32 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're like a little boy on the playground, Brown . . . you can't seem to avoid attempting to get in one more jab. Pathetic, really . . .

Setanta, does even one sentient thought cross your mind before these brain-jerk comments of yours pour forth. You might as well wear a big sandwich board sign saying, "I'm pathetic!".
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 09:32 am
JTT wrote:
You might as well wear a big sandwich board sign saying, "I'm pathetic!".

You could loan him your spare.