Gala

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:30 am
I saw a woman on the Metro this morning, who was so puffed up by it, her face seemed frozen. And so fake looking. Why, why, why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,855 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Gala

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
Why do women do this to themselves when it makes them look so awful?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 12:40 pm
Actually, when it's done right it can look good. You don't notice the good ones- they look real. It's the extreme or sloppy cases that look like Frankenstein - when doctors, cosmeticians or clients overdo procedures. Some people in the industry need to learn to 'just say no". Some clients need to get more self-esteem. I'm related to a well known plastic surgeon and I've seen pictures in which he has performed miracles (he's done a lot of work with burn victims). The problem is some people don't know when to quit. To paraphrase my relative : "I can make a 49 year old woman look like 35, but I can only make a 65 year old woman look like she has had work done. She will look younger, and you might not be able to tell her age, but most people will know something is not natural. Nature trumps science in the end. "
Gala

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 05:28 am
@Green Witch,
Plastic surgery and botox are money makers. Even when a nose-job is well done, I can usually detect it-- because even if the nose is gorgeous, it's not necessarily the nose designed for the face.

Years ago, as a teenager, I was having lunch with my stepmother and I blurted out "did you have a nose-job? " And she did, when she was a teenager, so that meant she had it done in the 1940s.

I was mortified to find out, in the same conversation, that she and her first husband had asked her daughter (my stepsister) if she'd wanted one when she was a teenager, too.

Can you imagine, having your parents approach you and ask if you want a cosmetic procedure to improve your looks?

Well, it's no surprise both of my stepmothers children live 3,000 miles away from her now....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 06:21 am
@Gala,
Botox should not make someone look puffy, it's not a filler. It prevents contraction of muscles.

I often see Botox on medical records for people with serious pain post-injury. It seems to work reasonably well to assist with relief of chronic pain.
Gala

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Even a good botox job alters the person's appearance. In the case of Metro lady, she achieved freak proportions. In the case of a good botox job, Sanda Bullock comes to mind. If you look at her in the trailers of her new film you can tell she's had some wrinkles evened out, and even she looks a little blown up.
0 Replies