In top fuel

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:15 pm

takes top spot in top fuel = wins first position/place in hottest enthusiasm?

Context:
Brown takes top spot in top fuel

Antron Brown raced to the No. 1 qualifying position in top fuel in the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals at Clermont, Ind., taking the top spot for the seventh time this season with a run of 3.835 seconds at 319.22 mph.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 424 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:17 pm
@oristarA,
Top fuel is a category or bracket.

(they use the most potent fuel, a nitro-based mix)

Top alcohol, funny car, pro street, these are all classifications for cars to race by.
oristarA

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:50 am
@Rockhead,
Thanks.

But I still couldn't get it clearly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 07:56 am
There are different categories for automobile races. Top fuel refers to one of those categories. Antron Brown took the first place in the category of automobile racing known as top fuel.
oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:20 am
@Setanta,
Got it.
Thank you.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:29 am

and I suspect that this is drag racing, i.e. one or more cars competing to see how fast you can cover a given distance (in the US usually a quarter mile, I'm not sure if it's the same distance in metric countries, or indeed whether this kind of racing is purely an American phenomenon) from a standing start, i.e. not moving. So the winner covered a quarter mile in 3 plus seconds, going from zero miles an hour at the start of those three seconds to 319 miles an hour at the end.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:40 am
If you want more information on drag racing, here's a wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_racing

"Top fuel" seems to mean it's running on 90% nitromethane and only 10% some sort of gasoline.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 11:52 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
So the winner covered a quarter mile in 3 plus seconds, going from zero miles an hour at the start of those three seconds to 319 miles an hour at the end.

Holy ****! Back when I was following it, Big Daddy Don Garlits had the top fuel record and if I remember correctly it was just under 7 seconds, 6.97 or sum'n and around 215 mph.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
Yeah, they're really burning up the road now (literally).
0 Replies