Robin Hood anf King Richard

Manilla

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:26 pm
I'd like to know more about Robin Hood, and King Richard the Lion-Hearted. Did Hood really exist or yet another legend like King Arthur?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,493 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 08:20 pm
@Manilla,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 12:13 pm
Well, King Arthur is from the Celtic body of myth and there is some suspicion that he was real while Robin is Anglo-Saxon. Supposedly, the surname Robinson was do with the children sired celebrating Robin Hood. There is nothing that indicates Robin as Robin actually lived.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:00 pm
The earliest candidates for Robin Hood date to the mid- to late 13th century (1200s), while Richard Plantagenet (Coeur de lion--the Lionheart) died in 1199. Furthermore, the long bow was hardly known in England in the late 12th century, and was introduced into England as a military weapon only after the defeat of Llewellyn ap Griffith in 1272 by Edward, grandson of Richard's brother John.

Richard Plantagenet hated England, hated the climate, hated the people, didn't speak the language and largely treated it as a cash cow to finance his military adventures. He came to the throne in 1189, and immediately raised all the money he could squeeze out of England, then rushed off to the "Holy Land" on crusade. On his way home, he was kidnapped by Austrians, and the ransom was squeezed out the English people by a forced "loan," since it equaled about three times the annual royal revenues. As soon as he got back to England, he put the screws to everyone for even more money, and then rushed off to France to attempt to hang onto his father's "empire," which included roughly the western half of what is now France. (His father claimed to be Duke of Normandy, and had inherited Anjou and Poitou--in northwestern France--from his father; Richard's mother, Eleanor of Acquitaine, had inherited from her father most of the rest of western France.)

The notion that Richard was a beloved monarch is an ugly joke. He spoke French, not English. He spent less than two years of his ten years on the throne in England. As far as he was concerned, England was a cash cow, and nothing else.

The stories of Robin Hood, and of Richard I are based on actual fiction.
Mame

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 07:56 pm
@Setanta,
You confused me with your saying "Richard Plantagenet" in referring to Richard I since the House of the Plantagenets didn't begin until the 1200's (1216, so they say).

There are other things that confused me, too.

Richard I lived from the mid to late 1100's. You are talking about Richard I, the Lion Heart, who was the crusader, whereas Richard II would have been the first "Plantagenet" in the 1300s. I was reading up on this just a few days ago, actually, due to something I saw on tv, and just googled to confirm. Richard III was the one who lived in France and who was King for two years (1483-1485, when he died).

This is where I just confirmed this. http://www.britroyals.com/plantagenet.htm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:55 pm
There is a movie . . . perhaps based on Shakespearean play where the leading lady has a line that is something like, "Dick Plantagenet, all you think of is war, war, war!"
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 06:02 pm
I found the reference. The actress was Viginia Mayo and the film was "King Richard and the Crusaders," from 1954. Despite a cast that included Rex Harrison, Laurence Harvey and George Sanders, it made the "50 Worst Films of All Times," by Harry Medved and Randy Lowell. Supposedly, it was based on a novel by Sir Walter Scott.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 03:01 pm
http://www.britroyals.com/normans.htm

Geoffrey Plantagenet of Anjou (1113- 1151) begat:
Henry II (1133-1189) married Eleanor of Aquitaine (1122-1204) begat:
Richard I (1157-1199)
0 Replies