enclosed winter garden

fansy

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 03:32 am
Quote:
According to MR. Causel, Bartholdi attended a wedding shortly after his return from America. He suddenly saw at the top of a staircase a striking young woman with a milliner’s hat box in her hand. Embarrassed at the sight of the elegantly dressed ladies and gentlemen in the ballroom, the milliner’s assistant rushed out of the room into an enclosed winter garden. Bartholdi, struck by Jeanne Emilie Baheux’s beauty, followed her to the garden to introduce himself. As he later exclaimed to a friend, “I have finally met my Lady Liberty!”

What kind of gardent is this "enclosed winter garden"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 505 • Replies: 1
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 04:55 am
@fansy,
Its usually a metal framed conservatory garden (like a big greenhouse. Its usually attached to great houses and is more common in UK than US. Several winter gardens exist. Im familiar with the town center in Toledo Oh, The Longwood and LAdsuex Gardens in PA and Md, The NAtional ARboretum. The very rich would have them as features added onto thweir great homes and they would be heated by separate oil fired heating plants.

Usually, from the ones Ive seen, the owners have nothing to do with the work in their winter gardens.
0 Replies