fraud-scam

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:06 am
I got this email yesterday;

Quote:
Citi is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system.
We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with a secure service.
Until we can collect this information, your access to your account features will be restricted.
We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Your account access has been restricted for the following reason(s):

10 September 2009:
We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party as different computers have logged into your Online Banking account and multiple password failures where presented before the logons.
We now need you to re-confirm your account information to us. We understand that having restricted access can be an inconvenience, but protecting your account is our primary concern.

Please visit the link below, log in to your account and complete the secure verification form:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

In accordance with our User Agreement, your account access will remain restricted until the issue has been resolved.
Unfortunately, if access to your account remains restricted for an extended period of time, we will be forced to close your account as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes.
We encourage you to log in to your Online Banking account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

the thing is I don't have a citi account, in addition, we have been getting about 4 phone calls (robo) each day requesting our password and asking for immediate payment over the phone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 1,248 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:12 am
@dyslexia,
Oy vey.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:28 am
@dyslexia,
Yup, all kinds of nefarious schemes about these days.

We had something in a similar vein, but it was for the "Wells-Fargo" bank. I don't think they even exist in Canada?? Confused
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:29 am
@dyslexia,
Well, of course if you don't have a citi bank account, you have nothing to be concerned about. But that's one hell of a brazen scam. They're apparently on a phishing expedition, contacting virtually everyone with an e-mail address in the hope that some of these people do have citi accounts and will bite the bait. The ingenuity of despicable cretins never ceases to amaze me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:31 am
@dyslexia,
Never reply to, or use a link in, any E-mail from a bank. (One possible exception is a password reset that you know you initiated.)

Banks, as a general rule, do not send out unsolicited E-mails, even to warn of fraud. They use snail mail.
Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:52 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Banks, as a general rule, do not send out unsolicited E-mails, even to warn of fraud. They use snail mail.

Yes, that is my experience, too.

A couple of times I did email the security department of my bank because of stupid scams (I knew they were scams) that I wanted to make them aware of. They appreciate stuff like that, as I got a nice note back.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:56 am
I get emails similar to this on a regular basis. I send them all my personal information so as to not be taking any chances. Never can be too cautious.
Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
And you have money left in the bank, still? Wink Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:33 pm
Being broke already is the secret.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:56 pm
Rule #1- Never, never send out any sensitive information by E Mail. I have gotten a few of those scams over the years, and have written to the related companies about the frauds. Many firms have fraud departments, and are happy when someone reports a scam.

Just to show you how paranoid I am, I recently got a letter from a group that did some lab work when I was in the hospital. The letter said that they did not have my insurance number. Now, I have Medicare, and the number is the same as my social security number. (Three cheers for the wisdom of the government! ) Rolling Eyes

I absolutely refuse to send my s.s. number through snail mail. I am sure that there are people who steal mail, just to get a hold of information like this. Some years ago, someone stole all the mail out of a mailbox, which was in front of my local post office.

So I called the lab company, and told them that I would be happy to give my number over the phone. The upshot was, that they had checked further, and already had my insurance number!@!*&^ Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
the last robo call this morning Lady Diane answered and simply waited till someone came live, she then asked for "someone's name and phone number" stating that she would use reverse-lookup to see who was really calling. we haven't gotten another call.
the same sorta thing happened to me a few years ago but it was Wells-Fargo which is my bank so I went to my accout, they had a blank where I posted the email message (fraud) and it was taken care of but not having a citi account I have no way to report.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
I get so many phony emails and scam phone calls any more that I couldn't spend all that time on each one. I probably should select a few each week, pursue those.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 01:35 pm
@dyslexia,
Did you sic the nun-gone-bad on them? That's kinda like killing houseflies with dynamite, isn't it?

<cheers for Diane>

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 03:15 pm
I get tons of these because we have a business dot com. Most of these scams are based outside of the US. They are obviously fraudulent because they do not have a name in the email - I think my bank (or any other institution) I do business with knows my name or my business name.

For robo-phones: Do not hang on and wait for a real person. This indicates to the scammers they have reached a working number and the number is passed around to other scammers with a tag saying a real person gets on the phone. Just hang up as soon as you hear the recording. Holding on guarantees weeks and weeks of calls. I know, I made the same mistake once. My State Attorney General's office told me they have no power over these scammers because they are offshore, so just end the connection quickly.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 05:52 pm
@dyslexia,
If you are seriously concerned, you can contact the FBI and report it.
They will ask you to forward the e-mail to them so they can do whatever it is they do.

Under no circumstances do you give them any info.
A bank will not use e-mail to notify you of anything, so this didnt come from any bank.

Delete it and forget about it.
0 Replies